Options

Mike Meyers Net+ Passport

petesnookpetesnook Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I'm planning on studying for my CCNA, but being completely new to networking, I bought the Mike Meyers Network+ Passposrt book a while ago, to give me an introduction to networking (not sure yet whether I will actually take the Net+ exam).
I've read a lot of posts on here recommending his 'CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition' book, which seems more in-depth.
Will I get enough out of the Passport book, or would I be better off going for the 'All-in-one' book?
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've also heard good things about his passport book. If you're planning to go the 2 test route to the CCNA that book should be a good intro for you. A lot of people may have different opinions but if you're planning to go for your CCNA actually getting the Net+ isn't that important but you may want to do the studying as you're doing for an introduction to networking.
    You should probably go to the Comptia site and download the objectives for the Net+ just to give you a good guideline on what you should know.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was studying for the A+ I used the Mike Meyers all in on book, then I bought the Passport book. I was a bit dissapointed because the Passport book is just a condensed version of the all in one book. A lot of the material was exactly the same, word for word. The only noticable difference was the passport book didn't have all of the Historical/Conceptual info, only the Test Specific stuff. I felt likeI had bought the same book twice. I'm not sure if the Net+ materials are the same, but this time I'm reading the All in One book and the Tech Exams Technotes.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    do you think the network+ passport is enough?
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it should be good enough for an introduction to Networking. The passport just leaves out the Historical / Conceptual parts and the illustrations. All of the important facts are still there.