Options

Spammers are getting crafty...

helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got this yesterday in my inbox... They had my correct MCP ID though. All this links went to AOL Link

Annual Maintenance Notice

Matthew,

Once a year, we contact Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs) to keep them informed of program benefits. Our records show that your Microsoft Certification ID (MC ID) is [redacted].

To ensure that you can continue to access the MCP member site, view your benefits, and receive program notifications, at least once a year, you need to use the Windows Live ID that is associated with your MC ID. If this ID is not used during a 12-month period - such as logging into a member site or signing up for a Microsoft offer - you will need to request a new access code to visit the MCP member site.

To keep your Windows Live ID active, on an annual basis, we recommend that you do one of the following:

Verify your Windows Live ID by signing into Windows Live
We also recommend that at least once a year you:
Reveiw your transcript: Log into the MCP member site and verify the information on your official Microsoft Certification transcript. If there is an error, please report it to your Regional Service Center.

Verify your contact information: Log into the Microsoft Profile Center and make sure your contact information is accurate. Note: To receive communications from Microsoft Learning select the "E-Mail Address" check box in "My Contact Preferences."

Stay informed: Subscribe to the MCP Flash Newsletter to get updates about new and discountinued certifcations, exams, and program benefits. Also explore special offers, resources, Learning Snacks, and free downloads on the Microsoft Learning site.
Thank you for making Microsoft Certification a part of your career journey.
A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I got this too, so did someone I know, I think it is real? I do not think this is a phisher or a spam mail
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Assuming that it really is click.email.microsoftemail.com then its real. It isn't a scam or phishing email.

The domain whois details list Microsoft and it has Microsoft nameservers assigned to it. The domain also appears in quite a few newsletters from Microsoft.

I have no idea why it comes up with that link bounce page with some guys name in the header and the AOL link part though. I guess it is whoever made the redirector. The name appears on LinkedIn as a software developer. Microsoft are using a company called ExactTarget to do the tracking of link clicks and has the domain pointed at one of their servers.
    Domain Name.......... microsoftemail.com
      Creation Date........ 2005-06-26
      Registration Date.... 2010-04-29
      Expiry Date.......... 2011-06-26
      Organisation Name.... Microsoft Corporation
      Organisation Address. 1 Microsoft Way
      Organisation Address. 
      Organisation Address. Redmond
      Organisation Address. 98052
      Organisation Address. WA
      Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Administrator .
      Admin Address........ One Microsoft Way
      Admin Address........ 
      Admin Address........ Redmond
      Admin Address........ 98052
      Admin Address........ WA
      Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
      Admin Email.......... DOMAINS@MICROSOFT.COM
      Admin Phone.......... +1.4258828080
      Admin Fax............ 

Tech Name............ Hostmaster .
      Tech Address......... One Microsoft Way
      Tech Address......... 
      Tech Address......... Redmond
      Tech Address......... 98052
      Tech Address......... WA
      Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
      Tech Email........... msnhst@microsoft.com
      Tech Phone........... +1.4258828080
      Tech Fax............. 
      Name Server.......... NS2.MSFT.NET
      Name Server.......... NS4.MSFT.NET
      Name Server.......... NS1.MSFT.NET
      Name Server.......... NS5.MSFT.NET
      Name Server.......... NS3.MSFT.NET

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm wary of an official letter with any typos, like this one.

However, what's the spam tip off for you?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I'm wary of an official letter with any typos, like this one.

However, what's the spam tip off for you?

Typos happen from time to time. Do any of you ever watch headlines on Jay Leno??

If it isn't legit than MS must have been hacked. I don't know how else they would have your guys MCP ID's unless you are careless with them and tell them to everyone.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Looks good to me

OR

Steve Ballmer is stalking you
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Typos happen from time to time. Do any of you ever watch headlines on Jay Leno??

Microsoft's documentation is really good. I think I've only ever seen 2x typos in my time. But they've been in recent years.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Speaking of Typos, check this out. Cringe-inducing typo outside N.C. school - Yahoo! News
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DavidGGGDavidGGG Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got e-mails from click.email.microsoftemail.com when registering for the free Windows 10.

I got these e-mails to 2 e-mail addresses. The links go to different targets depending on which e-mail recipient it is, and have very long numbers in them, showing that they are likely to be designed to identify you for phising or worse. Also, the e-mails are written in my native language but misspelled several times, something I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't do. Anyone can fake the reply-to and sender addresses of e-mails and most whois data.

However, I still think it is legitimate e-mails, because I got the first ones minutes after I registered that I wanted Windows10 using 2 e-mails for 2 PCs and I got them only to these 2 addresses. Which means microsoft must have hired someone to do this. And that the unnecessari long numbers in all links which identify you are there for statistic purposes.

Very clumsy by Microsoft to let a 3rd party send e-mails that look exactly like phising. Best not to click on the links and not allow e-mail client to show images.