Options

Cert path advice?

Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for thoughts on my cert plan.
Background: 3 years verifiable IT experience. Currently 41 yrears old, working as an admin in an SMB in the midwest. Handle everything from desktops to servers to ASA with IPS/IDS and PCI compliance. A+, Net+, MCSA, CCNA so far. 3 classes left to finish AAS.
I finished CCNA in July, but still trying to decide what to focus on next.

I will be taking a class per semester online to finish my AAS.
I would prefer to stay with Cisco going forward: CCNA-Security, CCNP, CCSP-?? as I enjoy Cisco more than Microsoft.
Security+ before the end of this year.
I feel that I should probably finish MCSE 2003 (293,294,298 needed) before M$ drops these exams.
Not sure about 2008 exams as of yet.

Questions:
With an AAS and 4 years experience (next summer), would MCSA alone be enough Microsoft knowledge & experience to move to a networking position after finishing CCNP? or should I really finish MCSE first?

With server 2003 most likely remaining entrenched for a few more years...is MCITP:XX necessary if leaning toward Cisco?

In my area, the job market is about 75% Microsoft and 25% Cisco recently, with a lot of jobs requiring both.

Working with 2003/XP everyday at work, I think I could finish MCSE by end of this year (wife and 2 children at home) if I decided to go that route, but Cisco is calling me....icon_lol.gif

Any thoughts or suggestions?
WIP:
ROUTE

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much cisco gear do you work with now? As far as an MCSA being "enough" , a lot of the network engineers I know (here and elsewhere) don't have any MS certs and only touch MS servers in passing. I think that an MCSA would probably be overkill for a traditional Network Engineer. Having both isn't bad at all.

Another thing you need to remember is that the CCNA is nothing compared to the CCNP. The difficulty is much, much higher (and it should be). Also know that Network Engineering jobs seems to be much "harder" to find. What I mean is compared to Server admins (specifically MS server admins) Network Engineering jobs are in less supply (at least in my area and apparently in your area as well). Many of them want a lot of experience with various vendors and solutions. Even for the "JR" level positions. As a result of this it might be "easier" for you to try to find a NOC job and build your cisco exposure and work your way to Network Engineering.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I can only speak to my experience but in last position as the "IT guy" I rarely ever touched the Cisco console. Cisco just worked and worked well. I worked with MS on a daily basis though.

The MCSE may be more valuable to you in the long run since MS is practically everywhere. However, if you love Cisco feel free to continue on the network path.

If I was me, I would finish the MCSE path since you use it everyday anyway. Then work on the Cisco path.

The Cisco path has several options, Voice seems to be hot right now. Security is as well.

I know several CCIEs and they live and breath networking. If that's you, CCIE may be the route you want to eventually take.

P.S. On the MCSE path, many people on this forum will suggest that 70-298 is just like 70-299 you might as well take them both and Security+ and get your MCSE:Security endorsement. Or not, if you don't need the letters. A plain jane MCSE with Exchange experience may be better bet for a "jack of all trades".
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I have to agree with both of you. There isn't much Cisco opportunity around here either, except for consulting jobs. I'm just trying to look a year or two down the road and plan accordingly. After reading a few other related threads, I've decided to knock out these last 3 tests for MCSE and possibly Security before they retire. Just passed CCNA this summer, so I have a little time before I need to upgrade that. I do work with Microsoft everyday, and may have to for a while longer icon_redface.gif....
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With your experience with ASA's and IPS the CCNA:Security is a logical choice. You can do everything inside GNS3 so your cost is $0, aside from the exam itself.

I personally have found the CCNP Route overwhelming. Over a year on it, and I don't feel any more ready for it. But you might have better experience than me.

Additionally since you have the MCSA you might as well finish the MCSE.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest that if you are already planning to complete your MCSE and planning on getting the Security+ in this year (wise considering CompTIA's policy on the Continuing Education requirement for A+, Net+ & Sec+ beginning in 2011) that you additionally go for the MCSE:Security cert as it at least puts you up one step from your average MCSE for the price of only one additional MS exam (I took the 70-299 Security exam which was cake considering all objectives were covered throughout the MCSE program...seriously easy).

For that matter, once you've completed your MCSE, the MCITP program is also very simple. I got both the SA and EA certs in about a total of 2 months. This involved the 70-649 upgrade to MCTS 2008 Server, which was surprisingly simple, the 70-680 Windows 7 exam (again easy) and the two exams for MCITP status. These are all exceedingly easy once you've gone through the MCSE suite of tests.

If you prefer to go the Cisco route prior to the MCITP, that isn't a bad idea as these MS tests will be around for awhile. I would, however, suggest getting at least the Security+ exam out of the way while it's still a lifelong cert.

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks again,
    My original interest was CCSP. The requirement of CCNA: Security does not look too difficult, but read a few different places that CCNP would be helpful in attaining the CCSP. I do have access to an unused PIX 515, and could use GNS3 also. Any input on working toward CCSP without CCNP?
    WIP:
    ROUTE