Options

Exam 70-640 Scripting Questions

helios99helios99 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I'm new here and I need a guide with the certification exam. I was reviewing the exam guide given by microsoft and one line says:

"May include but is not limited to: bulk import, configure the UPN, create computer, user, and group accounts (scripts, import, migration), template accounts, contacts, distribution lists"

So I'm asking what group account scripting does MS means? Is it using Powershell and VB or DS commands,LDIFDE,CSVDE?

Hope to hear your feedbacks guys. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a book to study from (e.g. MS Press, Sybex, etc.)? Any of the study guides will cover what scripting you need. The scripting requirement is minimal, and mostly you need to know the difference between LDIFDE and CSVDE (when to use them, etc.), and identify some of the basic PS commands.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Hi mentholmoose, thanks for the reply. Yes I have a MS Press book for my studies. I have studied the scripting portion already and I need more practice.

I'll remember your advice. Thanks again.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck on the exam, let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took the 83-640 xam so it could be a little different now but menthol moose gave you good advice for the exam. Basically be able to recognize different command line functions and what they do.
    If you need more practice using command line do like I did and set up a Server Core VM and practice some with it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    hi guys thanks for your support. I have a virtual server setup for my practice. Yes I will give update on the result of the exam my target is to take the exam first week of September 2010. I will surely post if I have questions.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I took the 83-640 xam so it could be a little different now but menthol moose gave you good advice for the exam. Basically be able to recognize different command line functions and what they do.
    If you need more practice using command line do like I did and set up a Server Core VM and practice some with it.

earweed what exactly is the 83-640 exam? hope you can share.
  • Options
    It's a format Microsoft had been using for a while that they discontinued. On this test you would log onto an actual server and perform tasks. They had a lot of problems with the servers crashing and stuff so they discontinued that format and went back to the regular 70-640. Now you have more multiple choice questions than we had with the 83-640.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It's a format Microsoft had been using for a while that they discontinued. On this test you would log onto an actual server and perform tasks. They had a lot of problems with the servers crashing and stuff so they discontinued that format and went back to the regular 70-640. Now you have more multiple choice questions than we had with the 83-640.

Did they really? wow.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    helios99 wrote: »
    earweed what exactly is the 83-640 exam? hope you can share.

I'll help earweed out here, the 83-640 is the beta version of the 640 exam. MS offers specific folks who apply for beta tests the opportunity to take those beta exams. If you pass the beta exam you earn the certification that is associated with that exam.

As far as PowerShell and VB and what not, I'm doing the labs for all of that right now from the book and everything seem spretty straight forward. I can't imagine the PowerShell or VB questions being too hard and you should be able to just look at the Multiple Choice questions and tell "Ok, this is obviously PowerShell and the question asks for this PowerShell script" or something like that and you could get it right.

Just be prepared to lab alot, these labs are incredibly long for the 640.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be fine with the book alone, and as every one said it's always good to know commands it's easier and faster than any other methods.

As for the exam itself it doesn't cover it heavily, not more than the book itself and the practice tests that come with it.Good Luck
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will practice more on commands, I'm a bit proficient with Linux and its command lines so I'm keeping my hopes high.

Thanks for the support guys.
  • Options
    I'll help earweed out here, the 83-640 is the beta version of the 640 exam. MS offers specific folks who apply for beta tests the opportunity to take those beta exams. If you pass the beta exam you earn the certification that is associated with that exam.
    Actually my explanation was correct. The 83-640 wasn't a beta, beta exams have the prefix 71.
  • Options
    so earweed the 83-640 exam was more difficult?
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually my explanation was correct. The 83-640 wasn't a beta, beta exams have the prefix 71.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, for some reason I thought the beta tests started with 83. I got a link to go along with your information for those who are still confused like I was (even after you explained it, icon_razz.gif).

83-640 versus 70-640: Which MCTS: Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Configuration is which? The Transcender Team Weblog
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    helios99 wrote: »
    so earweed the 83-640 exam was more difficult?
    It had the portion where you logged onto a server and performed tasks. It was designed to make it more difficult for dumpers to pass the exam. You had to know what you were doing to accomplish the tasks. It wasn't more difficult really. They had a lot of people have their tests crash on them so they discontinued that format.
  • Options
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, for some reason I thought the beta tests started with 83. I got a link to go along with your information for those who are still confused like I was (even after you explained it, icon_razz.gif).

83-640 versus 70-640: Which MCTS: Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Configuration is which? The Transcender Team Weblog
    That's OK. I didn't know what the 83 series was until just a few weeks before I took the exam. I was kind of apprehensive about it but since I had labbed quite a bit I did ok on it.