Options

VLANs on Cisco Switches

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can a switchport be a member of more than one VLAN at the same time?

Comments

• Options
    KMAN24KMAN24 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not that I am aware of......but I have limited experience. From what I understand only one vlan per switchport. Then all the vlans can come together with trunking.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As switch can only be in one vlan...which would be the management vlan, BUT the switch can have it's ports on different vlans. Example...fa0/1-fa0/10 can belong to vlan 2 and fa0/11-fa0/24 can be on vlan 3.

NOTE: a port can ONLY be on one vlan at a time and to be able to have the two vlans talking to eachother you need a layer 3 device like a router.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's what I thought.

We have a TrendNet switch at work that uses a web based config interface that allows ports to be assigned to multiple VLANs. I have several VLANs set up with the port for the DSL router in each one giving all of them Internet access but keeping them seperate at the same time.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    viper75 wrote:
    As switch can only be in one vlan...which would be the management vlan, BUT the switch can have it's ports on different vlans. Example...fa0/1-fa0/10 can belong to vlan 2 and fa0/11-fa0/24 can be on vlan 3.

NOTE: a port can ONLY be on one vlan at a time and to be able to have the two vlans talking to eachother you need a layer 3 device like a router.

If you have a switch that can do MLS then you can setup as many (up to the max) VLANS as you need. Each vlan can be in its own subnet.
  • Options
    netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A switchport can only be in more than one vlan if it is a trunk port, in which case the device at the other end would also need to be a trunk port.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • Options
    NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can have multiple VLANs on a switch (global configuration). Only one VLAN on an access port (interface configuration). Multipule VLANs can traverse through a trunk (interface configuration, but a TRUNK).
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine