Options

Packet Tracer ok for CCNP SWITCH ... ???

416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking at packet tracer 5.3 and I see they have 2960 and 3560 switches. Anyone know what packet tracer can't do for the CCNP SWITCH?

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    416_guy wrote: »
    I'm looking at packet tracer 5.3 and I see they have 2960 and 3560 switches. Anyone know what packet tracer can't do for the CCNP SWITCH?

It can do everything I have asked it to so far, albeit it has not been anything to hard or complicated. The only issue I have is PT sometimes freaks out when you start to scale things sometimes.

I would suggest real hardware though. If you are moving to the NP level's some hands on experience is a must. If you work with the equipment, PT will probably be fine.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hsrp vrrp glbp, ip sla's prvt vlans........ there a few things it can't do. i would say 80% it does fine, but the few more complex features it is missing. in depth routing configuration for example.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems like it does, but it is really lacking. I have 5.3 and while it does an excellent job with the CCNA material from the CCNP, all of the detailed configurations and features are lacking in it.

CEF isn't supported, and a lot of the STP tools are missing in various types of configuration. BPDU filtering is not present and while root guard is, checking inconsistent ports is not available, Backbone fast is not present, nor is BPDU guard and other like features.

Etherchannel is fairly well supported in the CCNP level configurations with a few minor missing elements.

SVI is also somewhat functional, but lacking some key commands.

HSRP, VRRP, GLBP don't appear to be supported either.

I can't remember specifically, but Port, VLAN, and Router ACL's I don't think are supported and if they are, I think it was hit and miss with some configuration and verification tools.

A lot of the security configurations are missing, though it does offer some basic configurations with IP phones and QOS.

Overall, like I said, it "appears" to provide a lot, but it really is missing a great deal as you head into the detailed configurations and verification.

I started out trying to use it with the Official Switch Cert guide and the labs for it, I got about 1/2 way through the book being able to use a good amount of basic configurations (missing some config commands and verification commands here and there), but after that it gets really difficult to use it for anything do to the missing elements.

You might be able to use it for some basic things and fill in some gaps with Dynamips (it does have some features you can do in the later content), but overall I found it more frustrating than worth it as I spent most of my time chasing ghosts and looking up supported features and capability than focusing on the content.

Best bet is to get the hardware yourself, find a good online rack rental place, or just recently Boson released its Netsim 8.0 which is supposed to fully support the Switch, Route, and Tshoot content. Not sure how good it is though.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For the professional level exams you are going to want to do a lot of just messing around and watching debugs run in order to get a better understanding of how the technology works. This is something PT isn't really made for and won't give you what you need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    With any sim the biggest problem is the ability to delve in to something. Boson may support all you need for the exam. but you will find your self wanting to explore a topic and you hit a brick wall....

and you also often can't play with lots of things togather and get expected results. Or more you get what the book suggests but not what happens in the real world...

if you are serious about networking (and if you are taking you CCNP you should be), you will find any simulation software lacking..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Hey guys I have never used packet tracer, GNS3 does not have switch capabilities, although I prefer real hands on practice pursuing my CCNP I am still limited with my equipments which are 3550's EMI and 2950's, is packet tracer a good way to practice the limitation on the 3550's private vlan the hot standby's etc.?
  • Options
    well seeing as packet tracer dost not support either of them either its not going to be much help.

To be honest a 3550 has miles more functionality than the layer3 switch in packet tracer, just because it says 3650 in packet tracer, does not mean it acts any thing like one.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    well seeing as packet tracer dost not support either of them either its not going to be much help.

To be honest a 3550 has miles more functionality than the layer3 switch in packet tracer, just because it says 3650 in packet tracer, does not mean it acts any thing like one.

Alright thanks alot, I am courting my boss on donating one of the 3750's for my lab stuff, we retired alot of cisco and use foundry ughh icon_rolleyes.gif