Options

Any Mazda CX-7 or Nissan Rogue owners

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Looking to get a new vehicle, preferably one of the two above. My wife and I plan on having another kid in 2012 and we have a 7 month old right now. My Mazda3 and her Chevy Cobalt are too small so we need more room. Any other suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We dont have the Rogue in Australia but I have driven the CX-7 once and it was a good experience. Looks good inside and out, heard the fuel economy is decent too. Pour in a little more money and get the CX-9, even nicer. Have you considered a Subaru?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Have you considered a Subaru?

Like the Outback? Dude, you are so transparent...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Like the Outback? Dude, you are so transparent...

Or the Subaru Tribeca.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I have a Mazdaspeed 6 and the wife has a Mazdaspeed 3. I would consider the CX-7 over the Rogue because the CX-7 has the same turbocharged 2.3L motor our Mazdaspeeds. Although it's not tuned as high as the 6 or the 3, the CX-7 motor should have plenty of power. Since you already have a Mazda 3, you might be more comfortable with something from the same company.

My wife likes the hatch on the 3 because she is short and it is easier for her to load. Are you worried about the lack of passenger room or cargo space? The hatchback may have more room for gear.

A Subaru would be a good choice as well. It doesn't look like Mazda will be bringing the next generation of the Mazdaspeed 6 to the US so I think I might look at a Legacy GT in a couple of years. I have friends who have WRXs, STIs, and Legacy GTs. All of them love their cars. I like the AWD in my car and want my next car to have it as well.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Forget the kid and get a Nissan 370z, like me. Then you can whoop up on Claymoore and his wife's cars. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Forget the kid and get a Nissan 370z, like me. Then you can whoop up on Claymoore and his wife's cars. icon_lol.gif

I'm not sure you can get more bang for your buck than a Z, but I didn't compromise too much. The Speed6 has the same top speed and is only 0.2 seconds slower 0-60 and .25 mile compared to the 350Z (I have a 2006 model, so there was no 370Z at the time). I would expect the new Speed6 with the larger motor would still be a couple of ticks behind the 370Z.

However, I can carry 4 other people and a trunk full of gear with me. I had an Eclipse before I bought my 6 and I needed more room for gear and passengers. There was also the possibility that I would need to put a carseat in my next car, and come December I will. No more sports cars for me for a while.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm actually looking at a 2009 or 2010 Toyota Corolla S. I like to go fast icon_lol.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at a 2009 or 2010 Toyota Corolla S. I like to go fast icon_lol.gif

In a Corolla? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    In a Corolla? icon_lol.gif

stuck accelerator
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can get more bang for your buck than a Z, but I didn't compromise too much. The Speed6 has the same top speed and is only .2 seconds slower 0-60 and .25 mile compared to the 350Z (I have a 2006 model, so there was no 370Z at the time). I would expect the new Speed6 with the larger motor would still be a couple of ticks behind the 370Z.

However, I can carry 4 other people and a trunk full of gear with me. I had an Eclipse before I bought my 6 and I needed more room for gear and passengers. There was also the possibility that I would need to put a carseat in my next car, and come December I will. No more sports cars for me for a while.

Yeah the Z isnt exactly practical. Couple that with me not really realizing how many miles I drive a month, and I probably should have gotten something more practical.

Im picking up a second car tonight just to drive for work. Nothin but a beater, though.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yeah the Z isnt exactly practical. Couple that with me not really realizing how many miles I drive a month, and I probably should have gotten something more practical.

Im picking up a second car tonight just to drive for work. Nothin but a beater, though.

I've got a 300zx TT and think its very practical. It's a family car as long as you leave your kids at home. It should only be you and the lady anyway. Kids cramp your style.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    We dont have the Rogue in Australia but I have driven the CX-7 once and it was a good experience. Looks good inside and out, heard the fuel economy is decent too. Pour in a little more money and get the CX-9, even nicer. Have you considered a Subaru?

My good buddy owns a CX-9 and we have traveled to vegas in it, as well as around town. I must say its a nice car to be in as the driver or any passenger. He has owned it for 2 years and hasn't had any major mechanical problems. It seems to be a good family car (he has a wife and kid) as well.

As a former 350z owner, I'll say that the fit and finish was pretty nice; and assume that it translates to the rest of Nissan's fleet. Also, the Nissan Pathfinder is pretty nice too.

Subaru outback or Tribecas are pretty nice as well. Unfortunately, no experience in either vehicle.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    sandy'scarsandy'scar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently bought a 2010 Nissan Rouge. I traded in a 2007 Mazda 3 GT sedan for it. I really like the Rouge. It has a smoother ride than did my Mazda 3. It also seems less scrunched. As for being underpowered as some claim, I wonder what they are doing. If you have a couple of little kids in the back, I don't think you will be doing any street racing! I use mine primarly as a commuter car as I live 60Km from work. I think that is about 35 miles. It is great for highway driving, and it picks up speed well once I turn onto the highway. I also have no trouble passing. I generally drive about 120 km per hour, which I believe is close to 70 mph. Because we have winter conditions here much of the time, I love that it has AWD. I used to have to switch over to winter tires in my car.

I did not testdrive the Mazda CX7 because there is no dealership here, and I ran into that problem with Mazda when I needed some minor warranty work. That being said, the CX7 looks like a great vehicle. I would have definately been a consideration. I may have ended up with the Rouge anyways because of the difference in gas consumption, given that I drive a lot.