Options

Advice MCITP

krusty83ukkrusty83uk Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

After much consideration I am going to go for the MCITP: Server Administrator and will do the exam’s in this order.

1 - 70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring
2 - 70-642: MCTS: Network Infrastructure, Configuring
3 - 70-646: MCITP: Server Administrator

The question is what should I use for studying the 70-640 exam? Well apart from the sticky notes here which are great.

I have been looking at the books below what sort of put off after using the MS training kit for the 70-680 exam.

MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 : Server Administrator Core Requirements: Amazon.co.uk: Dan Holme, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Ian McLean, Orin Thomas, Nelson Ruest: Books

I already have a home domain running server 2008R2 and can make a number of VM 2008R2 servers.

Any advice would be great thanks for your help.

Russell

Comments

• Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The book you listed above plus the trainsignal videos got me through, and I had only a small amount of AD experience to start.. I had also started with the 642 exam, so the DNS and other info that crossed objectives helped
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Other question!

What happened to the the 80-640?

I take it the 70-640 doesnt have any sims?

I think doing the 70-642 first may be a god idea

Thanks

Russell
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They had so many problems with the 83-640 crashing that they discontinued it. So far there are no sims on the 70-640 but MS may decide to add the regular types of sims to it. I've heard from several people that doing the 70-642 first was a good idea. If you do the 640 first then read ahead in the 642 book at the DNS chapter as I wouldn't have been able to answer my DNS questions on the 640 if I hadn't.
    If you can get the Sybex book it complements the MS Training Kit very well. Also for the 642 be sure to use the included practice tests as most people (myself included) have been saying that the questions are very similar to the test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered the books but will have to wait a week as I am to tight to pay for faster delivery ha.

I read on this fourm that alot of people have trouble with the labs in the exams. I do like the idea of having labs in the exams as it would weed out alot of the cheats using ****.

I am really looking forward to starting some study!

Thanks for your help guys

Russell
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    krusty83uk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered the books but will have to wait a week as I am to tight to pay for faster delivery ha.

Cough cough :)
  • Options
    Well what can i say they be heavy books ha