Options

TSHOOT Passed....CCNP Passed!

stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
So, I took the TSHOOT today, and passed, with 931/1000. I knew all along this would be my exam, I'm a troubleshooter by nature :D

Given I'd already passed the BSCI and BCMSN, that means I'm done with the CCNP!

In terms of materials I used for the exam? Nothing but the topology and BSCI and BCMSN knowledge. I built the topology (I have a blog post about it for those interested), checked the exam topics, and went over my notes for the BSCI and BCMSN to make sure.

To the people who passed the BSCI and BCMSN with relative ease, or at least those who have come away knowing every last bit of detail (if you know your Inter-area LSAs from your IGMP messages), then I wouldn't bother with the official cert guide if your aim is to pass the exam.
Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1

Comments

• Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    congrats! :)
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    just saw your blog post, congrats!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

How long did it take you from start to finish? I want to tackle this next year but I don't work in a huge cisco company so I might have to use my lab and imagination lol
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Congrats! Nice job.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Congrats!

How long did it take you from start to finish? I want to tackle this next year but I don't work in a huge cisco company so I might have to use my lab and imagination lol

Are you talking the entire CCNP, or just the TSHOOT?

It depends on everyone. It took be from October of 2009 to June of 2010. So around 8 - 9 months.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

If we're talking from start to finish from the moment I picked up the BSCI book to the moment I clicked "Next" in the TSHOOT exam, I'd say just a little over year, from when I finished the CCNA. However, in the meantime I bought my first house, got in a relationship, changed jobs, and in doing so ignored the studies for quite a while.

Without any interruptions, in total this would have taken about 8 to 9 months. If you lab up enough, and make sure you understand every damn thing in the syllabus, and don't try and pass it on a whim, then 8 to 9 months is a realistic aim.

It depends on your free time though, I've had a fair bit, but at the same time felt pushed into doing some of it too. Someone who doesn't work, or has a lot of free time could do it in 6 easily .

• Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
  • Options
    Are you talking the entire CCNP, or just the TSHOOT?

It depends on everyone. It took be from October of 2009 to June of 2010. So around 8 - 9 months.

The entire CCNP (route switch and troubleshoot). I planned on dedicating about 9 months to getting it done (and another 2-3 for C|EH, after CCNP).
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

If we're talking from start to finish from the moment I picked up the BSCI book to the moment I clicked "Next" in the TSHOOT exam, I'd say just a little over year, from when I finished the CCNA. However, in the meantime I bought my first house, got in a relationship, changed jobs, and in doing so ignored the studies for quite a while.

Without any interruptions, in total this would have taken about 8 to 9 months. If you lab up enough, and make sure you understand every damn thing in the syllabus, and don't try and pass it on a whim, then 8 to 9 months is a realistic aim.

I have a bit of free time (or rather, I will when I quit my part time job). I am not in a super rush to get it (since I don't need it for my current job) but I will like to get it done. Did you use the lab manuals or anything like that? Unless they come up with new lab manuals for the new test, I may purchase the manuals for the old exams.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on Passing TSHOOT icon_cheers.gif and your CCNP icon_cheers.gif

You drunken_smilie.gif know drunken_smilie.gif what drunken_smilie.gif to drunken_smilie.gif do drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I didn't use much in the way of lab manuals. I bought a BCMSN lab guide off a friend, but I never actually labbed anything out, I just used it as something to peruse over in the week before the BCMSN exam. Other than that I just came up with topologies, decided on the technologies, and worked from there.

• Options
    Did you use the lab manuals or anything like that? Unless they come up with new lab manuals for the new test, I may purchase the manuals for the old exams.

not sure if/when new ones are coming out but i'm currently finding a lot of value still in the BSCI lab book. sure you can find a lot of scenarios online and the book probably isn't needed but i like how the book is structured and walks you through the exercises with explanations.
  • Options
    not sure if/when new ones are coming out but i'm currently finding a lot of value still in the BSCI lab book. sure you can find a lot of scenarios online and the book probably isn't needed but i like how the book is structured and walks you through the exercises with explanations.

Do you have the New books? Specifically Switch?
  • Options
    Do you have the New books? Specifically Switch?

new lab books? if thats what you mean i dont believe they are released.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and welcome to the CCNP family!!! (which I may eventually join 10 years from now haha). You shot the TSHOOT in the face (all puns intended)! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    new lab books? if thats what you mean i dont believe they are released.

No I meant the self study guides or cert guides.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!!

So, Juniper next???

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Congrats, may I recommend going through the ONT and ISCW material just so you know your stuff beyond BSCI and BCMSN
  • Options
    I'm covering the IPSEC and VPN side in the ISCW as we use it a fair amount of work. As for ONT and QoS, once I've done the JNCIA-Junos, I'm going for the CCIP, starting with the QoS exam so I can get a handle on it.