Options

Support giving support crap...

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I am biding my time and doing what pays the bills for now, but boy have other support companies been giving me crap. Had an issue where a vendors website was coming up as unreachable in IE, but worked in Firefox. Called their support and they gave me about 15 minutes of their time before saying "you'll have to reinstall IE that's the issue." Not wanting to waste all that time I plugged away and out that by unchecking one option and checking the other I could fix the issue. They didn't even explore those options with me....

Today, I am working on an email issue for a customer and emailed their hosting vendor. She sent directions that were utterly useless for what I was doing and asked that she send proper documentation. To that she sent the same link she sent earlier. When I called to say that wasn't what I was looking for she rudely stated that she sent me the right link twice and if I was having an issue to do a Google search.

Wish I could say that to the customers I support....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow gotta love the suggestion to do a google search. That's some top notch customer service. Smh...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ask to speak to a manager and explain the situation. See if you get any better results.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yep I've run into support reps out there who are stellar and others who are "stellar." Most amazing one I ran into so far was an issue one of our clients was having with Cox. For some reason 192.168.0.x was getting routed out into the internet which was wreaking havoc with our remote office vpn. The support rep I talked to kept trying to get me to try different dns servers to see if that would clear up the issue. Generally I humor support reps troubleshooting for a couple of steps but in this I probably shouldn't have. He started insisting that since I could ping google.com that everything was working properly and that since I can get to a site on the internet any problems I have connecting to an internal device (which is what he called our remote office) as being our problem. He didn't even understand that I was showing that 192.168.0.x was being hit 3 hops into their network. Eventually after much hold time he finally was told by someone higher up that Cox was accidentally routing to some internal servers. He didn't even apologize for his treating me like an idiot. It was rather amusing though frustrating.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    undomiel wrote: »
    For some reason 192.168.0.x was getting routed out into the internet which was wreaking havoc with our remote office vpn.
    Why is your router even letting that out of your network? Get some bogon filtering :P
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My favorite one is from last month... I was on a conference call with our customer and their 3rd party application developers.

For the next 60-90 minutes, I proceeded to do the same thing over and over again at the behest of the developer, since the its not the code thats the problem, it must be something on the server.

When I was finally able to convince them the performance problem was not due Windows, IIS, SQL or the physical server but was due to memory usage of their application.

The developer's response to that? Well I kid you not, the developer stated we should just put more ram into the server.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The other day my internet at home was down. After checking out the configuration (my check lasted 5-10 minutes and included power cycling the router twice and all of the other good stuff), I determined that it was Qwest's problem and went on to other things hoping that it would be restored.

Sometime later, it still wasn't working. So I called them (maybe they weren't aware it was out and my call would get the ball rolling.) So of course I'm getting the "unplug it and plug it back in" go to "192.168.0.1" blah blah which I did along because I had nothing better to do. 12 minutes into our phone call, they guy (who is clearly in India) says let me check to see if there is an outage in your area. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

So I'm waiting for another couple minutes while he is checking. He comes back on and says that he is going to have to place me on hold to find out if there is an outage in my area. (What he just spent 3 minutes doing I don't knowicon_twisted.gif). 5 minutes later he comes back on the phone and confirms that there is in fact an outage in my area and that they estimate it will be back in 4 hours. He confirms my number, and says someone will call me when it is restored.

So it took me nearly 20 minutes to be told that qwest is having issues, which I already knew. When I call the power company because the lights go out, the first thing they check is an outage in your area. They don't send you all over the house checking fuses and wiring to then decide that it is actually their fault!
    icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Oh, and to top if all off. I never did get that phone call. icon_twisted.gif

[/rant]
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that was absolutely rude of her. I think the worst case scenario would have been if she actually sent you a masked lmgtfy link lol.