Advice for JKO-701 Exam?

JonHanlonJonHanlon Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently a student at TESST College of Technology, and I have long been pursuing my A+ Certification. Because of some difficulties with the voucher not working (basically my school not knowing about the JKO and 220 series being different as far as registration goes), I haven't taken my A+ test yet. However, I have scheduled an exam for September 17th, at 2:00 P.M., but my only study material reflects the 600 exams (which I was going to take, but the issues with the voucher postponed my exam dates).

To my understanding, the 600 and 700 series have reletively the same information, but I was wondering if there were any better ways I can prepare myself for the exam, and also if 30 days was adaquate time to study. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My advice would be to download the objectives from the CompTIA site CompTIA A+ get the Mike Meyers All in One 7th edition and get to studying. There are differences as some stuff has been drropped and some stuff added.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • JonHanlonJonHanlon Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CompTia Practice Exams are only about 6 questions long. =/ I actually have the old Mike Meyers book (though I can't recall the exact name). If you have taken the test already, do you know how accuarate the study guidlines are? I saw the sticky thread on this board with a good number of links pertaining to each section of the study guidelines (which is actually what made me decide to get an account here c:), and I wanted to know if the exam actually reflects those guidelines or not.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The exam pretty much reflects the objectives that you can download from the link I gave above. Also the 2 tests are pretty similar and some of the questions on either test could be on either exam. I actually had a few of the same questions on both of my exams. I took the old exam though (way back in Nov 200icon_cool.gif and they've done a few changes.
    The test isn't really that hard as I only took about 3-1/2 weeks studying with the Mike Meyers All in One 6th edition and his learnkey videos. I used Measure up practice tests.
    I took them both the same day 45 minutes > break >40 minutes > done
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Sounds awesome. I think I have the third edition, but I know my school does use the seventh edition, so I may be able to borrow a copy though our library (hopefully). Thanks for the help!
    Turns out, I only had Mike Meyer's SECOND edition book! Luckily, with some help from on of the higher authority faculty members from my school, I was able to get a free copy of Jean Andrew's Seventh Edition A+ book and Lab Manual, which heavily focuses on the 700 series, and is barely a year old (I will probably return the book after passing the exam, only because I want the other students to have just as equal as an oppurtunity).

Does anybody know if Jean Andrew's books are informative? I've began taking notes, and half way through the first chapter she seems to cram a good chunk of information about the primary hardware, and it seems to be well organized, however I really only got about 8 pages in so far.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JonHanlon wrote: »
    Turns out, I only had Mike Meyer's SECOND edition book! Luckily, with some help from on of the higher authority faculty members from my school, I was able to get a free copy of Jean Andrew's Seventh Edition A+ book and Lab Manual, which heavily focuses on the 700 series, and is barely a year old (I will probably return the book after passing the exam, only because I want the other students to have just as equal as an oppurtunity).

Does anybody know if Jean Andrew's books are informative? I've began taking notes, and half way through the first chapter she seems to cram a good chunk of information about the primary hardware, and it seems to be well organized, however I really only got about 8 pages in so far.

I actually had to use the Jean Andrews book for my A+. In all honesty, I felt that I should have just read the books instead of taking the classes; I had prior work experience repairing comps so in the end I would say the books in combination with experience paid off. I like Jean Andrew's books because everything is evenly laid out and summarized per topic. It also splits the content of each exam right down the middle and shows you what you might see on each exam (a lot of the content overlaps).
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JonHanlon wrote: »

I used her 6th edition for a class and found it to be mostly rubbish. It was certainly a good reference for some different things (CPU types, RAM types ect), but I don't know that she fully understands the concepts that she is talking about.

My books also came with some videos, and after watching her stumble through stuff, I agreed with my impression from reading. For someone completely new to computers and wants to see what stuff looks like, it was a good book. For someone preparing to take A+, I think there are much better resources.
    Decide what to be and go be it.