Options

Beginning to make changes

rgomez912rgomez912 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I find myself making changes based on what I have learned from studying for the A+ exams. icon_rolleyes.gif I just got to the Wireless settings chapter and after reading it I learned that the WEP security I had was no good and went ahead and updated my settings to WPA2 icon_cheers.gif I know it is a small change but have any of you made changes to your systems as you began to learn and improve in your knowledge of computers and networks?

Plan of action for 2010: A+, Network+, Security+
Plan of action for 2011: CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did a lot of changes when I studied for the Net+ and Sec+ exam. Part of that is because that's when I got a laptop and actually got a wireless router. I also learned a few things on here and on the WGU forum that have helped me out like fixing a little prblem I had of my Modem and Router both doing DHCP and I set up my modem as bridged and my router PPoE.
    I also learned that to RDP to other computers through the router that I had to enable the router to let port 3389 through..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    In my opinion the benefit of studying for certifications or a degree is not the the goal at the end, but the road we take to get there.

In other words, I have learned a lot throughout the years. I've read multiple text books and programming manuals and have picked up little tidbits along the way. For example, most recently I realized that my 871w was running plain old WPA and not WPA2. So I set out on an intellectual journey to correct it. It turns out, that intellectual journey was the equivalent of going to the corner store for a candy bar as all it took was 2 new lines of code. Regardless I learned something new.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Learning new stuff all the time is why I like IT.
    Plus the cool initials!!!!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BeachNinjaBeachNinja Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my case, what was driven me to make changes has been the opposite; I first want to make a change and then end up learning how to do it. From the time I decided to install my first computer component (a cheap no-good 8x4x32 Acer drive) because I wanted to be able to do something (burn music CDs!), I’ve always been inspired to gain knowledge not for the sake of it, but to improve, do, try out, or get something done. Good thing I was familiar with most of the things covered in the A+ when I recently tackled it, because it always helps to read over stuff and quickly realize its no big deal because you've messed around with it before.