Options

QoS policing/shaping

luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
Fellow TE'ers,

I have a 2811 router which has a 10Mbps connection to the net. I also have 3 customers which connect into the router and I would like to:
  • ensure that each customer gets a minimum bandwidth of 3Mbps
  • reserve 1Mbps of bandwidth which is not available to any of the customers
  • allow each customer to use any available bandwidth (the 9Mbps) if the other customers are not using their full 3Mbps. (ie. if customer 1 is only using 1Mbps, customer 2 is using 1Mbps, allow customer 3 to use up to 7Mbps for this particular time)
I have read lots of doco and bought myself hte QoS book from Odom but I am still unsure of how I can acheive this. Do I want to police or shape?

Using MQC, I have created the three classes to match the different customers:

R(config)# class-map match-all CUST1_CMAP
R(config-cmap)# match access-group 1
R(config)# class-map match-all CUST2_CMAP
R(config-cmap)# match access-group 2
R(config)# class-map match-all CUST3_CMAP
R(config-cmap)# match access-group 3

If I was policing, would the following command under each customer's policy-map work?:
police cir percent 30 pir percent 90 conform transmit exceed transmit violate drop

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    You want to police on the ingress, and shape on the egress, so if this is incoming traffic then you will police it.

And what your doing isn't the way i'd do it. I would police the circuit to your 10Mbps then just use CBWFQ to ensure that each customer gets at least 3mbps and leave 1Mbps for your class-default.

So it'd look like this:
    policy-map police
    class class-default
    police 10000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
    service-policy customers

policy-map customers
    class CUST1_CMAP
    bandwidth 3000
    class CUST2_CMAP
    bandwidth 3000
    class CUST2_CMAP
    bandwidth 3000 
    class class-default
    bandwidth 1000
    fair-queue

That sets the circuit 10Mbps and no more. It also ensures that every customer will get at least 3Mbps and can use more bandwidth if it's available. Also, depending on if you're using voice you may need to tweak the policing section.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    ^ that will allow each customer to use 10MB though, not the 9. So you would have to put a max of 9mb on each class.

Technically you could even just set the interface speed to 10MB if you didn't want to police there, but I guess it doesn't matter.

As for police vs shape, they do 'mostly' the same thing, but shaping tries to buffer some of the packets when bursts happen instead of dropping. For the wording of this question, I would stay with a police on the bandwidth.
  • Options
    Ah, you are indeed correct. So if you were hard set on the max of 9Mbps for each customer you could just add another police to each CUST_CMAP class

e.g.
    policy-map customer
    class CUST1_CMAP
    bandwidth 3000
    police 9000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

etc..
  • Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    Great, thanks guys.. this has been really helpful :)

Does this policy-map get applied to the outgoing interface to the net? Each customer connects into one of the ports on a HWIC-4ESW, and the WAN connection comes off one of the builtin Fast Ethernet ports.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apply it outbound on the WAN interface
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    You mean apply it inbound on the WAN.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□

Well after looking at it some more I agree that it would better to apply it inbound if the concern is download speed (which is likely the case). I'm used to seeing policy maps on our MPLS network which are tagging packets which requires applying the policy outbound so packets can be correctly marked. However, assuming these clients are hosting devices like web servers wouldn't it make more sense to apply the policy outbound to effectively limit the upload bandwidth utilization because applying the policy inbound will do nothing to traffic leaving the router making it possibly for a host to send all 10M.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could only Police/Shape in the outgoing direction?

How can you police what's coming in on the wire? Or have I missed something?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could only Police/Shape in the outgoing direction?

How can you police what's coming in on the wire? Or have I missed something?

Police in or out and shape out only. It doesn't stop the traffic from coming across the wire, but it does stop it from getting any further.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oops, oh yeah. My bad.
  • Options
    diswakdiswak Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

I could be wrong, but I thought you can only que packets in the outbound direction.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    if your going to make use of shaping and policing your customers traffic you would have to apply it outbound on the WAN interface.......

If you want to police the incoming traffic towards your customers then apply an inbound policy map that gives them specific policing rates without the shaping configuration..... or make use of CAR...

Therefore controlling your traffic completely..... in\out...

You can't shape traffic coming into your network from an external source due to available queues........ that is considered traffic coming into an interface therefore the only available method is policing it...

Like Network said above... Policing = in or out & Shaping = out only, making use of available outbound queues\queuing mechanisms...

Are you supplying QoS for voice traffic? If so then you might want to add two stanza's into the policy map as well to match on signalling\control traffic & voice payload traffic..... and police it to a specific rate depending on what codecs are in effect and call admissions rates etc....... as you probably know that shaping voice traffic in congested periods is pointless....

Hope this helps... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP