Options

Noob Help ! Can't ping 2 switches???

william_yeowilliam_yeo Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
i got 2 cisco switches, Switch A IP is 10.0.0.1 and Switch B IP is 192.168.1.1 and i hav aggregated 2 port on both switch. The probem now is i cant ping Switch B from Switch A console. Btw i got 2 PC attach to each Switch. And that 2 PC able to ping the 2 switches on the Dos Prompt..

wat can i do in order to ping Switch B from Switch A console ???

thanks in advance !

Comments

• Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Look at your IP's. Without a router with an interface for 10.0.0.0 and an interface for 192.168.1.0, you are not going to get this two switches to ping each other. They both have to be on the same subnet.
  • Options
    netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Switches are layer 2 devices. You need a router (layer 3 device) to connect between two different networks.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • Options
    hhisgett wrote:
    Look at your IP's. Without a router with an interface for 10.0.0.0 and an interface for 192.168.1.0, you are not going to get this two switches to ping each other. They both have to be on the same subnet.

pls giv some example IP or advice....... i'm noob in networking..... :) thankss
  • Options
    netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, you need some understanding of the OSI model for this. IP addressing resides at layer 3 (network layer) of the OSI model, therefore only devices at layer 3 or above will understand and have visibility of IP addressing - ie. routers.

Switches reside at layer 2 of the OSI model and as such do not understand or have any knowledge of ip addressing. In order to connect between devices on different subnets you need a device which does understand ip addressing and can route between different networks - ie. a router.

A switch with an ip address of 192.168.1.1 will only be able to contact (ping etc.) devices on the same subnet. If a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask is used (ie. class C) then the only ip addresses this switch will be able to contact are 192.168.1.1-254.

Check out subnetting websites www.learntosubnet.com is a good site for this.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Seriously, if you're a total newb to networking, you need to be starting with Net+, not CCNA.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    thanksss guyss.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need a stick with a layer 3 device on the end of it. Do a Google search on "Vlan on a stick." I've never tried it, but that's the concept; you need a layer 3 device to interconnect VLANs or any devices residing on different subnets.

I agree with the Peanut Man (not meant to be offensive, MD, just a cheerful recognition of your geographical loation :) ) that you probably ought to get the Net+ first, or at leat familiarize yourself with the material. You're going for a Master's Degree without a Bachelor's level of knowledge.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine