Options

Router on a Stick on 1721 router

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
Hi all, I want to implement VLAN in our company but I don't have a Layer 3 switch. We have 5 Catalysts 2960 which is now working as a flat network. We have an old Cisco 1721 router with 1 FastEthernet and 1 Ethernet interface.Can I implement VLAN and configure my subinterface on the router? What is the drawback of implementing VLAN with an old router?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm assuming your 2960s are uplinked on a common VLAN; how does this VLAN connect to the Internet? I'm assuming you have a Gateway router of some sort? What's your Internet BW?

The 1721 is a great gateway router for a small office, router-on-a-stick is a very trivial feature and you should have no problem running this configuration with a small topology. Just don't go crazy with the VLANs. With the right IOS, you can even run it as a VPN gateway for remote access, and IOS Firewall!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    1721s are very old and very slow.

Agreed. I'm throwing a number out of my rear here but I'd say if you have anything over 20-40 or so users active on your network you might see some drawbacks.

Otherwise, you should be able to implement ROAS in this situation.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On a side note: every time I see the term "router on a stick" I think of Jose Jalapeno
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    jojopramos wrote: »
    Hi all, I want to implement VLAN in our company but I don't have a Layer 3 switch. We have 5 Catalysts 2960 which is now working as a flat network. We have an old Cisco 1721 router with 1 FastEthernet and 1 Ethernet interface.Can I implement VLAN and configure my subinterface on the router? What is the drawback of implementing VLAN with an old router?

jojopramos,

What would the purpose of the router be for your company network?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    On a side note: every time I see the term "router on a stick" I think of Jose Jalapeno

LOL you are not the only one. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We have an old Cisco 1721 router with 1 FastEthernet and 1 Ethernet interface.

Throw a gigabit interface on it and you'll be in a better spot. I suggest you get at least an 1800 series though, like the 1841.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Throw a gigabit interface on it and you'll be in a better spot.

I don't think you could get a gig interface on there, but even if you could, it doesn't help anything. You're limited by the power of the router, not the speed of the interfaces.
  • Options
    I don't think you could get a gig interface on there, but even if you could, it doesn't help anything. You're limited by the power of the router, not the speed of the interfaces.

They don't make gigabit ethernet cards for that series? Like a wic-1enet?

EDIT: Guess not according to this. Looks like only 1841 and above support gige hwic.
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My 1721 can pass about 9 meg, so its hard to imagine a production environment that would find that fast enough.
  • Options
    Hi all. We have an Astaro firewall (4 Mbps DSL - external) (4 Cisco Catalyst, HP Procurve switch 2010 PoE - internal) connection. Sorry that we don't have that big budget to incorporate an all Cisco device as Cisco ASA firewall and PoE switches are more expensive. We are also using AVAYA IP Phone, that is why we need the HP Procurve for PoE. Then our PC's are connected via IP Phone ethernet slot. We also have 50 users in our company and for this I want to implement VLANs on our servers, sales, finance and the last vlan is the remaining users to segregate broadcast domain. I reviewed the HP Procurve and access and voice are segregated already in the VLAN (voice vlan). The guys who implemented voice vlan are avaya guys. Now, I am planning to create our own VLAN to improve the performance of our network. By the way, how many users you should have in a company before implementing VLAN? As for now, I want to improve our network infrastructure and change from being a flat network using class c /24 classfull network. Please advise. I also read from Todd Lamle's 6th ed that 1721 is not capable of 802.1q trunk implementation.
  • Options
    jojopramos,

What would the purpose of the router be for your company network?

To configure the subinterface for the VLAN dude. I downt have a layers 3 switch to create switch virtual interface (SVI).
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I also read from Todd Lamle's 6th ed that 1721 is not capable of 802.1q trunk implementation.
    Where did it say that? A 1721 with the proper feature set (and version number after the feature was added) can do 802.1q trunking.

A 1720, on the other hand, is a router with 100Mb Ethernet Interface that can't (according to the Cisco Docs).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Hi Mike, correct me if im wrong but based on CCNA 6th ed. by Todd Lamle, page 567 (routing bet VLANs) it says " The 1600, 1700 and 2500 series don't support ISL or 802.1q routing. Id recommend at least a 2800 as a bare minimum". I will check on my 1721, as I think, you are right that with a proper feature set, it will do the 802.1q. Anyway, I can do interVLAN routing on 1721, that would be great. For the meantime, I will first check the IOS version and feature set of my 1721.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi Mike, correct me if im wrong but based on CCNA 6th ed. by Todd Lamle, page 567 (routing bet VLANs) it says " The 1600, 1700 and 2500 series don't support ISL or 802.1q routing. Id recommend at least a 2800 as a bare minimum". I will check on my 1721, as I think, you are right that with a proper feature set, it will do the 802.1q. Anyway, I can do interVLAN routing on 1721, that would be great. For the meantime, I will first check the IOS version and feature set of my 1721.

I can verify that with Advanced Enterprises I was able to do 802.1q trunking on my 1721s.
  • Options

Todd Lammle is not the definitive authority on everything Cisco, and not a good author either if you ask me. Try asking Cisco instead, I'm sure they know alot more about their own product than Todd does.
    Cisco.com wrote:
    The Cisco 1721 supports standards-based IEEE 802.1Q VLAN routing, which enables enterprises to set up multiple VLANs and route between them for added security within the internal corporate network.

Cisco 1721 and Cisco 1720 Modular Access Routers [Cisco 1700 Series Modular Access Routers] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Where did it say that? A 1721 with the proper feature set (and version number after the feature was added) can do 802.1q trunking.

A 1720, on the other hand, is a router with 100Mb Ethernet Interface that can't (according to the Cisco Docs).

I've gotten ROAS working with a 1721, but wasn't able to with a 1720. It was quite awhile ago, so could have been IOS/memory related, but I don't think you can pull it off on the 1720s.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've gotten ROAS working with a 1721, but wasn't able to with a 1720. It was quite awhile ago, so could have been IOS/memory related, but I don't think you can pull it off on the 1720s.
    Yeah. 1720s were limited in memory/flash and had a corresponding limitation in IOS feature support. I think the best you can get is IP base + ADSL which won't do 802.1q. If you're going to buy a 1700 then don't buy the cheap 1720s!
  • Options
    Todd Lamle, page 567 (routing bet VLANs) it says " The 1600, 1700 and 2500 series don't support ISL or 802.1q routing. Id recommend at least a 2800 as a bare minimum".
    I hope that is a typo on the 2800...
  • Options
    My 1721 can pass about 9 meg, so its hard to imagine a production environment that would find that fast enough.
    Thats prolly 9Mbps with nothing enabled as well. Add some ACLs and other features and the throughput will drop like a stone.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    correct me if im wrong
    Nope -- you're right. And it's not in the errata.

You found it -- you have to report it. :D There are 1700 series routers that trunk.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I hope that is a typo on the 2800...

Yea, no kidding.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Nope -- you're right. And it's not in the errata.

You found it -- you have to report it. :D There are 1700 series routers that trunk.

Thanks Mike. Now that I know I can configure my 1721 to be a ROAS.