Options

Non-certification reading

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
I seem to remember a thread like this earlier in the year but I figured a new one wouldn't hurt. I make it a point to read a book that isn't about certifications for an hour or so before trying to sleep every night. I actually have a few that I bounce between depending on my mood and the medium. On my nook I've been reading a lot of classics (since they're free from www.bn.com/freelibrary). In paper I've been reading random stuff.

I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Dickens and The Art of Deception by Mitnick. I've also started reading Winnie the Pooh since it comes free on the ipad.

I've recently finished Tarzan of the Apes and Treasure Island. Both were pretty fantastic and well-paced. I think I like the serialized flow of the books.

What are you currently reading or what can you recommend?
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I make it a point to read a book that isn't about certifications for an hour or so before trying to sleep every night.

I disagree with this practice. I find that if I read before bed (technical books), it A. tires me out, and B. when I lay down and close my eyes whatever I was reading about bounces around in my head until I fall asleep. Free study time!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I disagree with this practice. I find that if I read before bed (technical books), it A. tires me out, and B. when I lay down and close my eyes whatever I was reading about bounces around in my head until I fall asleep. Free study time!

I find it too mentally stimulating to study before bed and the books too heavy to read laying down. I have sleeping issues anyway but don't like relying on Ambien since reading helps me relax and sleep naturally. I wish it worked for me though, I would love that free study time.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After I finished my 290, I took a break to read Slaughterhouse Five and some comics. Now I am back to studying/preparing for my new job.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    I seem to remember a thread like this earlier in the year but I figured a new one wouldn't hurt. I make it a point to read a book that isn't about certifications for an hour or so before trying to sleep every night. I actually have a few that I bounce between depending on my mood and the medium. On my nook I've been reading a lot of classics (since they're free from www.bn.com/freelibrary). In paper I've been reading random stuff.

I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Dickens and The Art of Deception by Mitnick. I've also started reading Winnie the Pooh since it comes free on the ipad.

I've recently finished Tarzan of the Apes and Treasure Island. Both were pretty fantastic and well-paced. I think I like the serialized flow of the books.

What are you currently reading or what can you recommend?

Reading for fun that's a novel thought! I read zombie books and other science fiction weirdness. I also read a great deal about business, (Management, Accounting, Finance, and Economics).
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What about a book that is not for a certification yet still in the technical realm of studying? for the skills sake of it?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Reading for fun that's a novel thought! I read zombie books and other science fiction weirdness. I also read a great deal about business, (Management, Accounting, Finance, and Economics).

I've always wanted to read World War Z.. I'll plan on that one for Jan. or Feb. when I am free ;)
    chrisone wrote: »
    What about a book that is not for a certification yet still in the technical realm of studying? for the skills sake of it?

I think there was a thread about that a couple months ago. Many people mentioned Network Warrior in that thread. I think reading something that is technical would never steer you in the wrong direction. Hell, you could read a cert book and just not do the cert for knowledge gained.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Best book series I've read recently was the Hyperion books (4 total). It is far future science fiction so you would probably need to be into science fiction books. Personally, I loved the books. Nothing on my plate right now though.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Screw buying a paper copy of World War Z. Buy the audio book. The narration is outstanding and its very entertaining on the morning & evening commute. I would, however, buy the Zombie Survival Guide, Also by Brooks.

I’m currently working through the H.G. Wells anthology. When I’m done I’m going to crush Jules Verne’s lineup. I read most of both authors when I was a boy but really want to approach their works as an adult now. I generally sprinkle in H.P. Lovecraft’s short stories for quick reading. I like 19th and early 20th century American noir.
    Heero wrote: »
    Best book series I've read recently was the Hyperion books (4 total). It is far future science fiction so you would probably need to be into science fiction books. Personally, I loved the books. Nothing on my plate right now though.

If you want to read some outstanding super-future scifi check out Supermen: Tales of the Post Human Future.. It's a collection of short stories by various authors, all about different versions of the post-human super future. Most of the stories center on post-human evolution, or what we turn into. Its a phenomenal book. I think I lent my copy to Dynamik actually.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Just finished "into thin air", about the 1996 Everest disaster. I don't recall ever enjoying fiction in my life, and find I can only read non. Also enjoy Richard Dawkins books, worth rereading sometimes.

Reading for fun is an interesting concept to the IT world :D
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently revisiting the Isaac Asimov Foundation series, good stuff!

A little juvenile but thats what escapizm is all about right?
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Day By Day Armageddon and Day By Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile are great too. American Apocalypse 1 & 2, The "As the World Dies" Trilogy, Dead Rising & City Of The Dead are all great as well. For a great techno-geek-thriller, check out Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Just finished "into thin air", about the 1996 Everest disaster. I don't recall ever enjoying fiction in my life, and find I can only read non. Also enjoy Richard Dawkins books, worth rereading sometimes.

Reading for fun is an interesting concept to the IT world :D

Oh man I’m an Everest junkie. If you liked that book you would DEFINITELY enjoy David Breashear’s High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places. David Breashears is the dude who filmed the IMAX Everest film and was on the mountain in ’96. He even writes about that disaster in this book. I also recommend the Discovery Chanel “Everest, Beyond the Limit” series. You can get them all on DVD (which I also have). There are also a few other excellent Everest DVDs out there. “Everest: Mountain of Dreams, Mountain of Doom” is probably my favorite.

I’m going to climb that @#$% mountain when I’ve got the required $60k for a good tour to roll with.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Screw buying a paper copy of World War Z. Buy the audio book. The narration is outstanding and its very entertaining on the morning & evening commute. I would, however, buy the Zombie Survival Guide, Also by Brooks.

I’m currently working through the H.G. Wells anthology. When I’m done I’m going to crush Jules Verne’s lineup. I read most of both authors when I was a boy but really want to approach their works as an adult now. I generally sprinkle in H.P. Lovecraft’s short stories for quick reading. I like 19th and early 20th century American noir.

If you want to read some outstanding super-future scifi check out Supermen: Tales of the Post Human Future.. It's a collection of short stories by various authors, all about different versions of the post-human super future. Most of the stories center on post-human evolution, or what we turn into. Its a phenomenal book. I think I lent my copy to Dynamik actually.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't picked up the Survival Guide either. I started reading Walking Dead and I'm about half way through the first book.. simply amazing stuff. I can't wait for the series on AMC.