Couple questions about Sec+

ZiptiesZipties Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm new to techexams. I've been lurking for awhile. I have a couple questions about stuff to know for the Sec+. I've been using transcender and getting in the mid to high 70's.

There seems to be quite a few very specific Microsoft questions about Event IDs and the difference between auditing Windows 2000 and 2003 servers. How much time should I spend memorizing MS specific stuff for the Sec+?

Also, is there a list of specific tools like Snort and Tripwire and what they do? I've read Darrel Gibson's book and it was fantastic, but those two topics didn't seem to be covered as thoroughly as they are on Transcender (with probably very good reason).

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE.

Transcender was harder than the actual exam IMO. The test is vendor neutral, but that doesn't mean they don't sneak MS questions in. Microsoft is a lot of time the backbones to networks (thanks to AD) so you will likely see some specific questions. To be perfectly honest, I can't remember if there were any on the actual test or not. (Not that I would be allowed to tell you if I did!)

Having examples of different tools is probably a good idea. Things like wireshark is a protocol analyzer or that Nessus is a vulnerability scanner. Even if they don't directly ask you "What is wireshark?" (Which they could) they might say that you are using wireshark, and in your mind it would help to know what wireshark is. Darril does mention several of these tools, but it might not be a bad idea to find (or create) a list of some common tools and what they are used for.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Zipties wrote: »
    How much time should I spend memorizing MS specific stuff for the Sec+?

What sort of things do you think you need to 'memorize'? Don't you use these tools in your job?

If you have experience (and in this case, even lab experience) using the tools and working with encryptions and such, read the objectives and focus on the items listed.

Preparing for CompTIA exams shouldn't be a chore, they are targeted toward folks with experience in those areas. The exams are 'general' knowledge and therefore shouldn't be a burden to prepare for.
    icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ZiptiesZipties Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do networking any more. And very little to no server stuff. I basically haven't touched a MS server since Win Server 2000. I'm talking about memorizing stuff like Event IDs and what is the different ways to change log setting between Win Server 2000 and 2003. I'm not really into or in INFOSEC, but I'm getting it because it's required for DoD work.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    just pick up this book, if you already have experience from working in the industry, this book touches on exactly what you need to know.
    It will be the best $30.00 you ever spent. or kindle version for $10.00

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • ZiptiesZipties Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Went ahead and took the exam and...

I gots me an 864 icon_cheers.gif

Thanks all. I used Darril's book: Get Certified Get Ahead, Transcender, the Tech Notes and any SY0-201 practice questions that I could find with answers and explanations.

I have to say Darril did a stunning job nailing the domains required for the test. I'd have to say 95% I encountered on the test was in the book multiple times. I loved the repetition in the book it helped me nail the test.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Thats a good score too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats man..That's an excellent score.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.