Options

Exchange design for smb (x-post)

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
(x-post from exchange forum)

My employer owns several companies. We are going to be opening an office in the next month, and this office will be completely autonomous from our existing network. However, we want the users in the new office to be able to use email address suffix from our existing domain. Is it possible for me to setup a dc and exchange box at this completely seperate office and setup our users to use email from our domain without using OWA? Email client will most likely be Outlook 2007.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You don't need to setup a new Exchange box, if you get a solid pipe from the other office to the new office - it'll work fine. However, I do suggest having a DC at your location for authentication. (Authentication over the WAN sucks. icon_lol.gif)
  • Options
    You don't need to setup a new Exchange box, if you get a solid pipe from the other office to the new office - it'll work fine. However, I do suggest having a DC at your location for authentication. (Authentication over the WAN sucks. icon_lol.gif)

That's the problem, they don't want a p2p. For undisclosed reasons, the office needs to be standalone.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Is it required that the other offices computers are bound to a domain? If not, use Outlook Anywhere and call it a day.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Is it required that the other offices computers are bound to a domain? If not, use Outlook Anywhere and call it a day.

Any internal domain will do, its the email suffix that Im concerned about. Looks like Outlook Anywhere just might do the trick. Thx!
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    This can be done and there are a few article out there explaining how to impliment Split smtp domains, just Google "Split Domain in Exchange" plus your version ofc.

Just have a read and see it it provides you with an option that works for you.
  • Options
    If it can be any old domain. I'd throw a DC in the new office but just have them connect to email at the other office via Outlook Anywhere. We have a client that does that and they are fine with it.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Agree that Outlook Anywhere (or RPC Over HTTPS if you are still on 2003) in the remote offices would be the fastest to implement.

Another option would be to move all of your mail to Exchange Online and let Microsoft host it. Something to think about if you are considering an Exchange upgrade anytime soon. The full Business Productivity Online Suite includes SharePoint and OCS and would allow you to share all those services between your offices.

If the remote office needs to connect back to the main office for any reason, you could also implement a site-to-site VPN. Internet bandwidth is a lot cheaper than a point-to-point connection.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    BPOS is an expensive solution, the $10 a mailbox deal does NOT include sharepoint either. I host exchange for 4 dollars a box with unlimited storage. I know a lot of companies who are moving to BPOS, in 4 years the discussion will be opposite - "I am tired of paying MS 3K annually for email, I want a Small Business Server that costs 3K once".
  • Options
    BPOS is an expensive solution, the $10 a mailbox deal does NOT include sharepoint either. I host exchange for 4 dollars a box with unlimited storage. I know a lot of companies who are moving to BPOS, in 4 years the discussion will be opposite - "I am tired of paying MS 3K annually for email, I want a Small Business Server that costs 3K once".

an SBS might cost 3k once, but you have to have someone to perform maintenance and repairs on it. Having someone in-house or even getting a subscription support service from a consulting company is going to be more than 3k a year.
  • Options
    My clients do either or, some with SBS and some with hosted through MS. Hosting is more expensive over three years, that includes my billable time, and I'm not cheap. If you have more than 50 seats BPOS becomes unbearably expensive.

I host an exchange server, so I am not even anti-cloud. The cloud is really handy for my clients that don't have the space for a server. I am tired of seeing servers in the coat closet!
  • Options
    It probably comes out cheaper if you are only figuring in time billed to work on Exchange and only exchange. There are also other tasks to be handled, and of course all the desktops and other equipment the client has.

*shrug*
  • Options
    Desktop issues and line of business applications keep me way busier than exchange at most of my clients. Whats maddening is when you work with a client who really SHOULD be on a hosted exchange solution but they insist on having an internal exchange system. It all depends on the client. With 50 or fewer seats the hosted solution starts looking very mouth watering because for about the same (per seat) as they pay for postini alone, they could be on a hosted solution (mine preferably) where the spam filtering is part of the price.