Options

Microsoft Exams.

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody,

My names Josh, first post in this thread so I figured Id introduce myself once again.

I was just curious, and it may be too much to ask. Can anyone tell me what Microsoft Certs are 'popular' ? Which ones I should focus on just starting out and where I should take myself in terms of Network Security.

Thank you.
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE!!!!

In response to your question:

It really depends where you want to be in Network Security (Information Assurance and Policy, Ethical Hacking, Network Administration etc.). The best certification to start out with security wise would probably be the CompTIA Security+ itself.

CompTIA Security+

In terms of Microsoft you have two options:

MCITP and MSCE.

The MCTIP certifications revolve around Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. The MSCE is most widely known and sought after my HR goons (at the moment). Microsoft does not seem to be retiring this certification line anytime soon so its definitely worthwhile; plus you can upgrade to MCITP with a couple more exams. (will edit later sorry in a hurry lol)

Starting out is different for a lot of people. Do you currently hold any certifications? Are you in school or working? Are you interested in the more technical aspect or the managerial aspect of IT Security?

There are tons of amazing security professionals on this forum who I am sure would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have.
  • Options
    kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch for the info. --

No, I dont currently hold any certs. I am in the process of earning my A+, I just bought Meyers All-In-One Guides, A+ NET+ SEC+ (3 seperate books of courses). I hope to have my A+ by September.

I am currently earning my Associates in NCIS /W Microsoft Programs at Lincoln Tech - Online

They're a brick and mortar school that offers the same classes online. I believe the specific curriculum comes from there institute in Florida. The only downside is I have no hands-on lab experience and with a newborn baby and my wife a full time nurse finding a job to spice my resume up is kind of out of the question. Im thinking of running an ad in the paper to service PC's and maybe a little home-networking.
    Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
    CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
    CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
    Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
    The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
    TestOut Labsim - Network +
    TestOut Labsim - Server+