Options

5 Common Phrases That Will Ruin Your Resume

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I plan on modifying my resume based on this. Figured this would help my fellow IT brethren as well.

5 Common Phrases that will Ruin Your Resume - Knowledge Genes®

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    lol interesting
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I plan on modifying my resume based on this. Figured this would help my fellow IT brethren as well.

5 Common Phrases that will Ruin Your Resume - Knowledge Genes®

That is very interesting I use 3 out of the 5. Thanks!
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have some changes to make for sure.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I don't use any of them, I may have been missing out over the years where they were "in"
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    I don't use any of them, I may have been missing out over the years where they were "in"

It makes sense to heed some of that at least. In fact my resume is definitely in need of a makeover, and I plan on modifying it.

For example, I have "Experience in Cisco." If any of you Cisco guys were to interview me on my "Cisco Experience", you would be in for a very good laugh. I haven't touched a router since 1999...oh I know what it does thanks to my Network+ cert and limited experience, but can I upgrade an IOS? Ehhh....with a google search, I'll say maybe. But my point is, just because I touched something, it doesn't make me CCIE. (Heck, even a CCNA).

My resume still has stuff like Ghost images and whatnot. I can refocus my resume (and should at this point) to concentrate on my system/server administration skills and PeopleSoft administration. That's a project in and of itself though. But I gotta do it.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only use "responsible for"...but i never put too much faith into these articles anyways, cuz just like most other articles, they're all about somone's opinion. and also, it depends on how the whole sentence is worded. The way i use "responsible for" is totally different from the example that he has...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    I only use "responsible for"...but i never put too much faith into these articles anyways, cuz just like most other articles, they're all about somone's opinion. and also, it depends on how the whole sentence is worded. The way i use "responsible for" is totally different from the example that he has...

How's that been working out for you, personally?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The underlying advice is to quantify your accomplishments, which is what I do and encourage others to do. Numbers make your accomplishments pop.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree and disagree with these. I agree that it is important to spell out what you have done, but most of these examples are ridiculous. Even if the call volume dropped by 50% after you started, how can you attribute this to your awesome communication skills? I just think that a lot of the numbers would be difficult to obtain, and even then still wouldn't be very credible (due to other undisclosed factors. Maybe the day that you wrote these documents a new policy went into effect that also impacted call volumes?) in my book. Not to mention, they can't be verified.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It's pretty much as dynamik said. "Quantify it" is what should be taken from the article. It isn't so much about the specific words so the article title and focus is a bit misleading.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't use any of those but as was mentioned earlier I probably misses out while they were in.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My resume is actually just a list of certs and a single sentence:
    I am a detail-oriented team-player with excellent written communication skills that is responsible for, and experienced with, information technology.

It is the pinnacle of perfection icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    How's that been working out for you, personally?

i have a job currently....and when i was in between jobs, i get interviews. so, it has not been a hindrance....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

LMAO! You rock!
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I've read articles where hiring managers complain about too much specific information - something IT guys do frequently. Following this persons' advice our resumes would be 6 pages long.

For example, I might say "Designed and Implemented Hosted Exchange 2010 Product" which might sound vague but in all honesty, to go through all the high level tasks required to pull that off successfully would take ages.

I guess in some ways the wording of your resume should be designed to weed out potential employers you don't want to deal with. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I have trouble with specifics as well. I have a hard time quantifying things like, "Setup a DHCP/DNS server","migrated firewall." How can you quantify that?

I do use numbers for budgets I managed, but I don't think it's impressing anyone (less than $20k); I just want to show I can do more than be the office geek.
    dynamik wrote: »

I SO want a resume that will fit in a fortune cookie.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ssampier wrote: »
    I have trouble with specifics as well. I have a hard time quantifying things like, "Setup a DHCP/DNS server","migrated firewall." How can you quantify that?

"Setup a DHCP/DNS server ensuring that all employees would be able to access the internet and waste $100,000 in payroll each year."

There, it has been quantified.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    "Setup a DHCP/DNS server ensuring that all employees would be able to access the internet and waste $100,000 in payroll each year."

LOL!

I think you just won the thread.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »

That's definitely the truth...LMAO
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah, you can't quantify and/or put a dollar value on EVERYTHING. My current resume in progress has fpr each company, major projects listed first with the value they added... $ savings, efficiencies gained, risk avoidance, supporting a strategic business initiative, or whatever... and toward the end I put the more pedestrian "job responsibilities" like "manage DNS Server". The catch 22 is, earlier in one's career, it's harder to find things that can be quantified like that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...