Tempory IT contracting jobs gained through Recruitment agencies?

Does anyone have any experience with contracting jobs gained through recruitment agencies? any tips and advice? pros and cons?

Comments

• Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Does anyone have any experience with contracting jobs gained through recruitment agencies? any tips and advice? pros and cons?

Pretty much all contract jobs go through the agencies in the UK

Some agencies will work exclusive but most will be 1 of many representing a client and often they will post different rates for the same job, so if you see say 3 adds for very similar sounding jobs, chances are they will be the same job.

In this market be carefull about negotiating your rate, apply to the agency which is offering the most, if you get the contract you can then negotiate more money on any extension.

Are you in the UK? If so go LTD you will get 82%+ of your rate paid back to you but use an accountancy firm geared up for contractors.

Constantly look for work, try and get a good name and be willing to travel.

Most important, save money for bench time.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started out doing contract work working for various companies like Adecco and Accu Staffing. Some jobs lasted a year others a little over a week. I did that for 3 years as I didn't have any college or certs at the time. Two of those landed me a full time job later and the over all experience I gained from those jobs have got me to were I am today. Every intern that comes in or everyone that asks how to break into IT I tell them to go to some of the staffing companies and apply. Go to the local schools and apply to be a substitute technician. Go to local charities and volunteer your skills. Experience is a very big part of IT, anyone can do a cram and get a cert and anyone can go to a college and get a degree but that and actual work experience are VERY different.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

My first real IT job was through a contracting agency. I thought they were nice enough to assist. I ended up with the company so defiently not a bad way to go, especially if you are not coming up with much luck finding gigs.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    My first real IT job was through a contracting agency. I thought they were nice enough to assist. I ended up with the company so defiently not a bad way to go, especially if you are not coming up with much luck finding gigs.

In your opinion, how is the IT market, overall, in St. Louis? I would think that since it's major metro area, IT jobs would be plentiful.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    In your opinion, how is the IT market, overall, in St. Louis? I would think that since it's major metro area, IT jobs would be plentiful.

Yeah you see spikes in jobs from time to time. Kraft Purina rolled out SAP and now it's in the operational phase. They were looking for several SAP Production planning, Material management, and General ledger support technicians. I applied but didn't hear back. Scott Air Force Base was just awarded all this money and they have a lot of networking engineer positions coming open and infosec.

Overall it's okay nothing special but you should at least be able to find a help desk job. I really like where I am at and hope to move up. We will see....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Yeah you see spikes in jobs from time to time. Kraft Purina rolled out SAP and now it's in the operational phase. They were looking for several SAP Production planning, Material management, and General ledger support technicians. I applied but didn't hear back. Scott Air Force Base was just awarded all this money and they have a lot of networking engineer positions coming open and infosec.

Overall it's okay nothing special but you should at least be able to find a help desk job. I really like where I am at and hope to move up. We will see....

I think that without the base there would be a lot less jobs in the area. When I was first trying to break into IT, there wasn't much available as far as Help Desk in the St. Louis area. I think most if not all of the Help Desk jobs are contracted out in the area too. I think experienced individuals have a better shot at getting a job in the St. Louis area.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    yeah well i had an interview with an agency and went for 30 minutes they said if they have anything they will tell me they also interviewed me for a contract but that job was already taken by another recruitment company what r my chances of getting work through them??