Options

MCTS SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
For you guys who have taken this exam, what sort of study material have you used? My weak point is SSRS and general OLAP theory. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking to take this exam within the next 3 months. I'm getting some good SSIS experience on the job.

I think Aaron said he only used the MS Press book, but I would like some additional material. Thanks!

EDIT: I should say my weak points are SSRS and SSAS and general OLAP theory.

Comments

• Options
    jamesstilljamesstill Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Robert,

I'm in almost the same position as you. Except I've built a LOT of reports using SSRS, but have no experience of SSAS / cube / DW methodology. I've been using the MS 70 448 kit and it reads really well. Almost finished the SSIS part and I can see loads of things we do at work using SQL jobs which would be better in SSIS and lots of other cool things we can build besides.

I was informed of 2 free 12 hour online MS clincs which may be of use to you. (over at certforums.co.uk
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=166270&tab=overview
    and
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=166269&tab=overview

These are FREE!

That aside I'm hoping the MS Press book will be enough. I'll probably buy the Transcender exam pack to run through prior to the exam, I hear they are very good in preparing you for the exam style content. Since this is my first MS exam I'm a little cautious. I'll be going for a 2 exam pack for a 15% discount and free second shot just in case too :)

I'd be interested to hear other views on this too.

Regards
    James
  • Options
    Thanks, James. I am going to sign up for the BI clinic.

Edit: Just in case someone else looks at this thread in the future. I'm currently using the step-by-step guides for SSAS, SSRS, and MDX. Once I am done with those I am going to do the clinic James mentioned above and then the MS Press SPT Kit for the MCTS BI exam and use Sam's SSIS Unleashed and SSRS Unleashed as additional material. SSIS I'm using Knight's 24-Hour Trainer.

I *love* Safari Books and my Kindle, is all I can say.
  • Options
    jamesstilljamesstill Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Robert,

Thanks for the tip - I've already ordered the Step by Step SQL book. Depending on how I get on, I may order the SSRS and SSAS books too.

I didn't even know about the Step by Step MDX book. Does that actually explain the concepts or just tell you how to do it? I.e. should I read a different book about DW principles first?

I haven't been able to find a Step by Step guide on SSIS - I'm not sure there is one (very odd if there isn't). I've gone for this in the meantime: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Integration Services Unleashed: Amazon.co.uk: Kirk Haselden: Books

If you've managed to find the SSIS Step by Step book, could you drop me a link?

Are you reading all these for just the 70 448 exam? Or for the advanced course (which there doesn't seem to be a training kit for)? Seems it would be a bit much for just the 70 448 as apparently just the training kit is enough. That's not to say the additional knowledge would hurt in any way :)

Regards
    James
  • Options
    It's also general professional development. I'm using Knight's 24-Hour Trainer for the SSIS basics. The Step-by-Step guides cover a decent amount of theory. I'm ramping up to start doing a lot of BI stuff at work, and I also tend to over study for exams as well.