Do you work for Michael Scott (Dunder Mifflin)?

So I'm sitting in a meeting yesterday with my manager, all of the main department heads and the CTO, to go over some tech stuff that they wanted to understand. No problem... until my manager decides to inject a "That's what she said!" into the conversation. To be clear, I can lay down deeper in the ditch than most when it comes to inappropriate humor, but I also know when and when not to use it.

I didn't hear the set-up, but the room immediately fell silent, so it must've been good (or bad depending on how you look at it). Bad enough as it is from a professional standpoint, there were also women in the room in addition to our CTO, so he looked like a total douchebag.

He's got many more Michael Scott traits that I won't get into (yet), but it got me to wondering if anyone on the boards have a boss like Michael Scott or if they've had anything happen similar to a scene from The Office.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of my coworkers got off the phone with a troublesome customer the other day: *massive groan* "Well, that was a long and painful, miserable experience. But, it was worth it in the end."

We do That's what she said so much at our office, that one of my managers even admitted to me that her vocabulary and speaking style has improved because of it. She now makes a conscious effort to go out of her way to say things like "difficult" instead of "hard." icon_lol.gif
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    She now makes a conscious effort to go out of her way to say things like "difficult" instead of "hard." icon_lol.gif

LOL wow! That must be a very interesting workplace.
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh man.. I can't even imagine that being done in an actual work environment.

I'd have to say.. if this would happen I think I wouldn't be able to stop laughing, which would probably even make me look worse than the manager.. :D
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rhermans wrote: »
    I'd have to say.. if this would happen I think I wouldn't be able to stop laughing, which would probably even make me look worse than the manager.. :D

Not even that it is that funny, but that your manager was stupid enough to say it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    God, that was the main redeeming factor of my last employer (and Dynamik's current one). There is no HR department there so the place is a walking sexual harassment suit waiting to happen. I've been engaged in every conversation from monkey aids to "that's what she said" being referenced in a conversation about paraplegics. If I didn't have to be professional 50% of the time due to on-site visits to clients, I'd probably be royally screwed at my new job.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Not even that it is that funny, but that your manager was stupid enough to say it.

Exactly! He's preoccupied with trying to be funny which means a flood of lame jokes in the hope that one of them sticks.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    God, that was the main redeeming factor of my last employer (and Dynamik's current one).

Yea, the mom jokes have dropped off dramatically icon_sad.gif Although, at the team meeting today, someone said something about how someone had six sessions within an hour, so of course I reply, "Oh, that sounds just like Paul's mom." I'm not going to show mercy just because you left.

One of my favorite moments was when Paul randomly walked by my desk, put a quarter on it, and said, "Tell your mom to keep the change." The entire team erupted in laughter; it was completely out of the blue icon_lol.gif
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm just glad my name isn't (that) poisonous there, haha.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/