Click Me!

Can you have a read please :)

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Click Me!

I like the length (that's what she didn't say icon_sad.gif ). Interesting use of bolding on text. IT does draw you eyes into certain lines which makes it very easy to pick out your skills. I am on the fence about the interest section. I'll let others chime in about that. I don't care for the font too much.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    To be honest I am on the fence on the interests bit as well. I'd rather drop it, but then that would leave a gap at the bottom.

I guess it's there also to see that I have some personality, and I'm not just a geeky nerdy type.

Font - Hmm think I agree too. What would be a more "professional" one?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be honest I am on the fence on the interests bit as well. I'd rather drop it, but then that would leave a gap at the bottom.

I guess it's there also to see that I have some personality, and I'm not just a geeky nerdy type.

Font - Hmm think I agree too. What would be a more "professional" one?

As far as the font, I am not sure. It just doesn't pop you know what I mean? Also I would take out the exact number f servers you support at your jobs. People might be like "Well he only supports X boxes. That's isn't "enterprise experience" ." I know some people are like that. The more I think about, I think you should nuke Interest. On you first two positions, I think you have them switched (at least date wise).
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    I like the length too. icon_lol.gif It definitely has visual appeal too - a nice clean look. The bolding, I am not so sure about. Or the "references available" or interests. This line needs something more: - Ability to diagnose wide range of problems essential. And only the current job should be in the present tense. Here: o Design and Implementation of networking for new site, zero downtime achieved, I would put achieved zero downtime first. Also, what content filtering software did you use? I ask because, believe it or not, the keyword websense, though my experience with it was truly tangential to my job, landed me a temp position contracting for a federal agency that turned into four wonderful years there (well, 3 yrs 9 mos, the last 3 months under the new contractor were beyond hell).

And can somebody chime in on using the active voice through the employment history section? I thought it was proper but maybe not.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    knwminus wrote: »
    I like the length (that's what she didn't say icon_sad.gif ). Interesting use of bolding on text. IT does draw you eyes into certain lines which makes it very easy to pick out your skills. I am on the fence about the interest section. I'll let others chime in about that. I don't care for the font too much.

Interesting layout!
    I like it.

Bold works well in the Core Skill section.
    Not so much in the Career History - Use it consistantly (such as, for each new topic, but not in the middle of the topic line and also below). Ex. you have (on page 2)
    - Responsible for supporting 120 computers and users in a single site

vs.
    - Responsible for Disaster Recovery

I understand (I think) what you are aiming for here, but as a resume reader (or HR person) reading this, I'd ask "why is being 'responsible' important for disaster recover, but not for support?

The layout works, but either bold the first line or don't bold the first line.
    Or, if you are going to use bold, select fewer words to BOLD so only 5 -10 hot words just out.

Drop interests (save it for the interview discussion)

References - (depends on the norm for the UK) here is would be more appropriate (depending on your location) to use "references available on request" rather then 'when required'.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thank you all - great feedback here.

I shall tweak my changes and get it published on my usual selection of recuitment websites.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Click Me!

I liked it.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Thank you all - great feedback here.

I shall tweak my changes and get it published on my usual selection of recuitment websites.

Are you going to post your tweaked changes.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Yep, when I get round to it :)
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Overall I agree what others have said here.

The only thing I would say is **** the references availability. If anyone wants them they will ask for them icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it has a good over all layout. I've never put borders around the sections in mine, but I like the way yours looks. I'd drop the interests and reference sections. Of course you will provide references if you want the job. I'm not sure about the other side of the pond, but I don't think anything personal is appropriate on the resume. I'm not a fan of the random boldness either. It makes it hard to read IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I typically don't like "Interests" sections on resumes but given your format and flow, it works well with yours..Overall a solid resume.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice layout. It is informative and to the point. I might steal some of your ideas. I would lose the interest like others have said to me and the skills and highlight them in the employment history.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only thing I would say is **** the references availability. If anyone wants them they will ask for them icon_smile.gif

It was taught to me that "References Available Upon Request" is always assumed to be the case, and hence not needed on a resume. I haven't included it in well over a decade, and I am working. :D

So yes, I would definitely drop the references; if they want it (and I'm sure they will), they will ask you for it anyway.
  • Options
    So here is version 2: -

Clicky!

:)

Is the gap OK at the very bottom?

Not sure what else to fill it with - except if I start expanding on more current experience..
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Interesting to see the comments regarding "interests" typically this side of the pond people like to see them. It all depends on who you're sending your resume too. If its contracting roles\recruiters they don't care. However if its recruiters\perm positions most people like to see something in place.
    I was given feedback on this and it helps interviewers lock people in their minds, as in "candidate A who likes playing guitar" it also gives people something else to talk about other than the usual techie chat.
    I know my interests have sparked some interesting conversations in interviews and does help build a rapport with potential employers.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Good point LBF - I've never had a problem with it in there before.

Maybe this is a UK/US thing - it works in some places, and not in others.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    So here is version 2: -

Clicky!

:)

Is the gap OK at the very bottom?

Not sure what else to fill it with - except if I start expanding on more current experience..

Looks good!

Gap is fine.

White space on resume's is good too!

With your current layout, I am not certain a modification could be made (or even should be made) but it might be possible to have a larger bit of white space between your contact data and your first block.

If it doesn't work out...leave it as it is. I could see the education section going to the bottom...just depends on the type of position/company you apply with...and it's purely a key to get an interview...nothing more.

Looks great though!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?