CCNA Exam - Passed!!

certccnacertccna Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took my CCNA exam today and passed with a score of 849. Pretty close shave!. :D

This is my first attempt. I took the exam more as a trial one bec' none of the online tests/sample exams gave me a clear cut idea of my preparation level Also, I had my doubts about the depth of prep. that is needed for the exam on a particular objective. So, I thought the best way to find out would be to give the actual exam. and god bless, I passed!!.

I got a lot of information by reading this discussion forum and others. So, I feel obligated to contribute something to the forum. Let me share my experience and thereby help you in preparing better for the exam.

About the exam...
Time: 90 minutes
Total Questions: 55 questions
Sims: 2 sims - 1 ospf and 1 rip

The sims were easy. but I did take time on the ospf one. The question was simple but expecting a tougher question I was trying to work out complex stuff there. Finally, I did figure out that the answer was just a two line one. The second was a walk in the park. It is very important that you get the SIMS right!. otherwise the chances of passing are slim.

Subnetting is VERY VERY IMPORTANT. if you don't feel comfortable doing subnetting, vlsm stuff, ip addressing in your head, I would advice you not to take the exam until you are very comfortable with it. Technology questions were straight forward and easy. Troubleshooting questions were indirect and tricky, but manageable.

I definitely believe that I could have managed a better score had I given a few more seconds of thought on the questions which I feel I got wrong. It was like "AH! shouldn't the answer be this??"...after I clicked the next button.

Time was sufficient. I had 8-9 mins to spare at the end of the exam even after wasting about 10-11 min on the OSPF one.

My prep tools...
Primary Book: CCNA study guide by Todd Lammle(sybex)...very good book
Note: Todd Lammle just about covers the objectives of the CCNA and it is always better to prepared more than what is needed. Also, the examples he gives are pretty simple. I seriously suggest you refer other books too and work out other tough examples.
Secondary Refernce:
1. CCNA ICND by cisco press
2. CCNA INTRO by Cisco Press
3. CCNA for dummies by ROn Gilster
4. Accompanying CDs (containing tests, flash cards, sim exams)
5. Free Boson tests
6. CBT Nuggets
(Well, I am a college student. So, I have access to the univ. library which has all the above listed books)

other than this, I found www.free-tests.com and www.practice-tests.com very useful. I suggest you try the questions online on the websites.

That's about it. With the proper prep and practice, getting a score of 900+ is not tough. All the Best for all the CCNA exam takers.

CCNA-DONE!!. So...what's next??....
icon_confused.gif: icon_idea.gificon_wink.gif

Comments

• NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. So what is next for you, maybe Microsoft or are you going to continue for the CCNP?
  • certccnacertccna Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Certified Wireless Networking Associate(CWNA) - www.cwnp.com
    CWNA rating seems to be picking up. With wireless comm. becoming the order of the day, I suppose this vendor neutral cert will gain importance in the coming months(as is already evident).

So, planning on taking that next. and yes, MCSE is also on the consideration list.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    If your wanting a job, I would do MCSE.
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Congrat!!! Thank you for the good review of your testing experience!! icon_cheers.gif
  • xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how were the cbt nuggets? were they usefull for the exam? right now i am just using the cbt nuggets to study from. my plan is to just use the cbt nuggets and then take a bunch of practice tests/sims and brush up on what is not clear.
  • certccnacertccna Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

My friend had CBT nuggets for the old ccna 640-607(?)...I borrowed the CDs from him....I believe the objectives for the 640-801 are almost the same except that more topics like OSPF, VLSM, ISDN DDR are included and concentrated on.

Anyway, About the CBT nuggets, I found it useful. The guy in the CBT nuggets videos has very good talent for explaining things. His explanation is crisp and simple making it very easy to follow and grasp on the first run itself. But I wouldn't really depend exhaustively on that. I would recommend supplementing it with other books.

thanks
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Certccna,

Thanks very much for your kind description of the test. Congrats on passing the test first time around!. I hope to sit for the exam in about 2-3 weeks.

Question I wanted to ask you is where can I get more information on the CWNA? I dont think ive ever heard of it before.

Thanks.
    Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the CWNP link in our navigation menu on the left ;)
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thanks for the advice, and congradulations I'll keep those things in mind. Thanks, again and good luck.
    Ooops icon_redface.gif ... thanks for that Webmaster...
    icon_wink.gif
  • akash_yogiakash_yogi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dear u have passed in ccna exam in first attemp
    so congrates plz guide me
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Congrats and great review! I should be testing out in a couple of weeks, and have used almost all of the same study material that you have. I just hope I get the same result...a pass. :D
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats .. i'm in the same boat as everyone else here planning to take the exam. i'm using about 3 different cbts, 1 book, and online sites/ offline test sims and feel comfortable with all the concepts. thanks for the input on your exam experience i will add these areas i haven't mastered into my studies for the next 2 weeks.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • oconn11oconn11 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratuations!! Thank you for excellent description.

Do you have a clear description of VLSM? I have no problem with subnetting, but I cant see how you subnet a subnet.

Thank you....
    A+, CCNA, Network+
    IT Generalist
  • nanoagenanoage Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS BIG TIME!

Thanks for the info about the test.

I am actually taking mine tomorrow.
  • akash_yogiakash_yogi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi
    thanks a lot guide me
    akash_yogi wrote:
    hi
    thanks a lot guide me

Hi Akash,

Im relatively new to CCNA, but what information are you after exactly?
    My recommendation is to first read what CCNA is, its objectives and what is in the test by going to www.cisco.com.

Then based on that you might be able to ask more direct, relavent questions.
    Also just read what has already been posted here on this site and also look at the various notes and links that Webmaster has on this site. These should answer many of your questions.

Regards