Options

Full Scholarship for My Masters. What Should I Major in? -- I really need advice

staub81staub81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I have my undergrad in MIS.
I have been 10 years as the Technology Director for a nonprofit.
Managed a network of ~50 computers.

I have received a scholarship to a school that does not offer a degree in IT.
This degree is really "backup." I may be looking for a new job in the next year or two, but not right now. I would looks for a sysadmin or network admin job.

Here are my options

1. Master of Arts in Management and Leadership
Short program of classes that really do not interest me. Would be easy to knock out pretty quickly, but like I said corporate finance and international business just doesn't do much for me.

2. MBA in Leadership
Your typical MBA. Same as the MAML, but a little longer. Again, it would be a "force feed" situation with the classes. Things like organizational behavior, entrepreneurship, etc.

3. M.ed in Teaching and Learning Specializing in Educational Technology and Online Learning.
I can do these classes, but i DO NOT want to be stuck in public education.

I guess the real question is whether or not an employer would give any credit to having a M.ed or would it just better to suck it up and do the maml or mba.

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Unless you're looking at teaching in the future, I'd go with the MBA. More versatile and in my opinion, your Masters speaks volumes over your BS so get it in something that's 1. useful and 2. something you want. Considering that you're already in the IT director area, the MBA would be most beneficial in my eyes and it seems like you want to keep it that way, i.e. being in management for 10 years. Anyone that can last 10 years in management of IT deserves a medal. :D
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I think you know the right answer. icon_study.gif

If you are holding back on a career change, this may be time to do it though. If you wanted to be a professor rather than a high-school teacher/administrator, I'd go with the Master of Arts degree myself.

I know two people with degree 3 and they teach Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint to teachers and administrators. If that sounds like your idea of a good time, feel free.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since it's a free ride you should do the MBA. While doing it you may want to explore your opportunities in a larger environment as it would expand your possibilities for advancement.
    As for what you should be looking into as far as jobs sysadmin would be a step down, you should at least move horizontally into a management position.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    staub81staub81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for the advice.
    Exactly the stuff I was needing.

Any other opinions are appreciated too!
  • Options
    TrainingDazeTrainingDaze Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Number 2 is the clear winner.....

1 - won't do anything for your career and you don't even want to do it.

3 - would only make sense if you wanted to get into teaching and even then in most states just having a masters in anything will allow you to teach, plus you aren't interested in it anyways.....

2 - you have business and leadership experience, an mba will build your network, pad your resume, and you might learn a thing or two along the way. Don't expect it to lead to a 130k job out of the gate unless it's ranked in the top 10, but that being said it can open doors and increase your value.

good luck in whatever you decide.