Options

Are I.T certifications/degree dead?

Are I.T certifications dead?

I hear from people that the value of the certifications is not the same as before same for degree?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

I hear from people that the value of the certifications is not the same as before same for degree?

Where they ever alive in the first place? :p

but no i would say they werent. Although the value of qualifications vary depending on the situation at the current time. Many certs can be devalued due to the amount of **** available. Even degree's can be devalued depending on the program. At the end of the day there will always be certs which are valued and some which are not - just stick to the decent ones ;)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438

They are not dead in the UK, job ad's ask for certs more than degrees, but either way experience is always asked for. I think experience will make up for lacking either and the more you have the less it matters. I got my first Cert in 2006, I have been doing IT since 1998, however.... things change. I got my first cert in 2006 like I said and my MCP ID was 3 million or so, I did 2 exams and that was all I really needed, I got stuck into a new Job and was too busy for exams. At the end of 2008 the company I worked for got in to trouble and was put up for sale I started applying for jobs and got "0" calls, all the guys who I was working with were doing the same and were getting calls, they were all junior to me and it made no sense. When I started to ask around it turned out that I was actually the least certified person out of 8, even our help desk guy got his MCSA, but no one had ever said they had done or were doing exams to me ( I suspect because they were dumping and thought I might bust them) When one of them showed me his wallet card his MCP ID was 8 million or so, this really bothered me, since the start of the MCP until the time I sat my first exam in 2006 3 million people got at least one MCP, in the 2-3 years since an additional 5 million....It became clear that I had been left behind and although I could run rings around these guys I was just not getting the interviews to prove it. I spent 9 months playing catch up, when I did I got calls when I got calls I got interviews and when I get interviews I got job offers. I was the first to get a job and leave the company. I had my certs which got me the calls I had 10 years behind me which got me the Job.

I am now considering a degree though, but I don' think it is required, I just want an edge.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You shouldn't believe everything you are told. Sounds like someone who either doesn't have certification/degree, or they just had unrealistic expectations where those things would get them. A simple job search on any of the major job boards will show you that these are still useful qualifications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    They are not dead in the UK, job ad's ask for certs more than degrees, but either way experience is always asked for. I think experience will make up for lacking either and the more you have the less it matters. I got my first Cert in 2006, I have been doing IT since 1998, however.... things change. I got my first cert in 2006 like I said and my MCP ID was 3 million or so, I did 2 exams and that was all I really needed, I got stuck into a new Job and was too busy for exams. At the end of 2008 the company I worked for got in to trouble and was put up for sale I started applying for jobs and got "0" calls, all the guys who I was working with were doing the same and were getting calls, they were all junior to me and it made no sense. When I started to ask around it turned out that I was actually the least certified person out of 8, even our help desk guy got his MCSA, but no one had ever said they had done or were doing exams to me ( I suspect because they were dumping and thought I might bust them) When one of them showed me his wallet card his MCP ID was 8 million or so, this really bothered me, since the start of the MCP until the time I sat my first exam in 2006 3 million people got at least one MCP, in the 2-3 years since an additional 5 million....It became clear that I had been left behind and although I could run rings around these guys I was just not getting the interviews to prove it. I spent 9 months playing catch up, when I did I got calls when I got calls I got interviews and when I get interviews I got job offers. I was the first to get a job and leave the company. I had my certs which got me the calls I had 10 years behind me which got me the Job.

I am now considering a degree though, but I don' think it is required, I just want an edge.

Sounds about right. My MCP ID is in the 3 million range (the very lower end of it) and got my first MCP exam in 2004.

Amazing to think there are over 8 million in the world.

On the degree comment - will definitely give you the edge if you are considering an IT Management post, I'd say.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    That's something that people who are usually too lazy to get degrees/certs always say.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My certs are not worthless in the field. They get you pass the HR people that is about it. It is more expierence then anything.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    About 8 years ago I was asked why I didn't have an A+. I told the interviewer that I had almost 4 years of experience and the current test was based on older technology. I also told her that the A+ is roughly (according to Comptia website) equal to 500 hours of work experience or about 3 and a half months of full time work.

I got the job.

Certs and degrees are never worthless. Some, like the Comptia and starter Microsoft certs are good for getting into IT. For advancement and personal growth you can start to get into other areas of IT like networking, programming, security ..etc. A degree in anything will help in finding a job. Just don't expect to get an A+ and Net+ and become a security admin at Lockheed Martin.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    There might be 8 million MCP's but the vast majority have one or two really small certs. Maybe even something as simple as MCAS.

There are only something like 13,000 MCITP EA's, and when there are 310 MILLION people in the US alone, thats a big differentiator.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    "Beer+"

awesome
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    "Beer+"

awesome

I have Liquor+ and Party+ myself. (Party+ includes pretty much any and everything that is associated with that word.) Beer+ is definitely equivalent to A+ and should only be used as an entry-level cert. Liquor+ is the Network+ equivalent and Party+ would be like Security+.

I choose not to hang those certs up on my wall though. LOL.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I have Liquor+ and Party+ myself. (Party+ includes pretty much any and everything that is associated with that word.) Beer+ is definitely equivalent to A+ and should only be used as an entry-level cert. Liquor+ is the Network+ equivalent and Party+ would be like Security+.

I think you and Mike also have Crack+ tbh
  • Options
    I think you and Mike also have Crack+ tbh

Wow....you sound like Heroin+ is right up your alley...especially since your Queen says it's legal as long as you register with the government and sign your rights away.....

Definitely no Crack+, but put it this way, I've been on Sober+ for quite some time....wifey will have no part of me renewing my past certs. LOL.
  • Options
    Wow....you sound like Heroin+ is right up your alley...especially since your Queen says it's legal as long as you register with the government and sign your rights away.....

Definitely no Crack+, but put it this way, I've been on Sober+ for quite some time....wifey will have no part of me renewing my past certs. LOL.

Wife Training+ might be worth a look mate, once I got that I renewed all my other certs with ease. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

I demand to know the objectives for these exams. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Wife Training+ might be worth a look mate, once I got that I renewed all my other certs with ease. icon_thumright.gif

You are fooling no one but yourself with that cert. LOL...you only have the illusion that you have Wife Training+, but in the end, not really.....even as a young man, I thought I'd have stuff on lockdown....

Sadly, I was mistaken....in order to keep the peace and shtfu, I pretty much comply. Only rarely will she allow me to put my foot down, but I have to 100% believe that I'm right. It's very hard to do that with crap I really don't care about. LMAO.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are fooling no one but yourself with that cert. LOL...you only have the illusion that you have Wife Training+, but in the end, not really.....even as a young man, I thought I'd have stuff on lockdown....

Sadly, I was mistaken....in order to keep the peace and shtfu, I pretty much comply. Only rarely will she allow me to put my foot down, but I have to 100% believe that I'm right. It's very hard to do that with crap I really don't care about. LMAO.

As an old man once told me:
    You have two choices: You can be right or be happy icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□

LOL I failed this certification many times over. My wife lets me believe I am right. I know dam well I am not and well I do not even bother anymore/
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    I demand to know the objectives for these exams. icon_lol.gif

I know for me, the standard drinks were in the first objective. (your rum and cokes, screwdrivers). Then the "womanly" drinks were discussed (anything sour, like a whiskey or amaretto). Then you needed to go into pretty manly stuff like the Long Island Ice Tea. ("40s" are also in the objectives and it is important to note that "40s" are not beer....you are definitely tested on malt liquor and the difference...lmao).

Party+....just like a real party, it's a cert by invitation only. You are to incorporate all you learned in the first two certs, then be willing to learn/participate in other activities that may occur at a party. If someone has to call 911, it's because you partied too much, and your cert may be taken away from you. Only professionals should have it, and that's why it's invite only. LMAO.
  • Options
    As an old man once told me: You can be right or be happy icon_wink.gif

Plus 1 on that!
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    LOL I failed this certification many times over. My wife lets me believe I am right. I know dam well I am not and well I do not even bother anymore/

I think Mojo is a dumper on Wife Training+....lmao! Don't feel too bad.
  • Options
    I think Mojo is a dumper on Wife Training+....lmao! Don't feel too bad.

Hahah, your not far off the truth, getting and maintaining this cert is all about the bribes, jewellery and shoes are the main ones, but as with any cert you need to throw in additional material like clothes, nights out etc
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to find new people.

After you've been working for a while, your experience will probably trump your education and certifications. But it's still easier to have your resume pulled from a stack for a job interview if you have keywords in your resume that HR looks for -- like a degree and certifications. And it also helps if you actually have the knowledge and skills that those qualification imply you should have.

If your parents/family owns a successful business, then you may only need your family contacts to get a job and make lots of money -- and education, certifications, and even experience won't be needed (at least until an older sibling runs the business into the ground and you have to find a job elsewhere and compete with everyone who does have an education, certifications, and experience).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

I think in terms of the words "CIS, MIS, IT Manager, etc", your people are correct it doesn't have that thump like it use to. But it's still very valued if you get it from a good school that is well respected. I am not implying Harvard or Yale, but if you can get into those and graduate right on!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm sensing frustration from you since this is your second post on academics/certifications. Don't let it get to you! Keep working hard and it will pay off! For me it involved finishing my AAS and moving out of my state to find work. I'm sure you will find what are you looking for if you keep trying! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    lol @ anyone who thinks a degree or any type of continued education is dead.

/thread
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I also told her that the A+ is roughly (according to Comptia website) equal to 500 hours of work experience or about 3 and a half months of full time work.[

Bull ****. I comptia a+ certification or any other certification does not equal any sort of work experience. Sure you will get some knowledge from the cert but not work experience, the only way to get work experience is to actually go out there and do the work. So no a certification does not equal any work experience, its bull **** to think that. You cannot get work experience by passing a cert the only way to get work experinece is by doing work.
  • Options
    When I first started looking for a job with just certifications + no real world experience none gave a **** about me and I only got like 2 phone interviews in 5 months then I volunteered myself at 1 or 2 I.T companies and undertook work experience for a couple of month. I got really valuable real world experience and learned alot and then I started to get around 2 face to face interviews a month. So certs + experience to back up those certs will help. Still I am looking for a job icon_sad.gif none likes me.
  • Options
    Bull ****. I comptia a+ certification or any other certification does not equal any sort of work experience. Sure you will get some knowledge from the cert but not work experience, the only way to get work experience is to actually go out there and do the work. So no a certification does not equal any work experience, its bull **** to think that. You cannot get work experience by passing a cert the only way to get work experinece is by doing work.

Ummm....that's not what he said. He said that the experience he had EQUALED the amount of time that CompTia "recommends" before you take the A+ certification. You are reading, incorrectly, that he said the certification EQUALS work experience (Like I got A+ and instead of having 2 years on the job, the test will be fine.....).

He was justifying to his employer, rightfully, why he did not have the A+ exam and how he got hired.
  • Options