Microsoft Dreamspark

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
I posted in another thread and referred to Dreamspark. Microsoft setup a site for students to get free copies of Windows Server 2008, R2, 2003, Robotics kit and some other nifty software. If you are a student, and your school is a part of the program, you are eligible for participation in the program.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Its been a while since I first made an account with them so the validation method escapes me right now. I don't remember having to send a transcript though.

Enjoy! icon_study.gif

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I posted in another thread and referred to Dreamspark. Microsoft setup a site for students to get free copies of Windows Server 2008, R2, 2003, Robotics kit and some other nifty software. If you are a student, and your school is a part of the program, you are eligible for participation in the program.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Its been a while since I first made an account with them so the validation method escapes me right now. I don't remember having to send a transcript though.

Enjoy! icon_study.gif

Even though I have access to both dreamspark and MSDN as a student, in my personal situation, I am better off spending the money for a Technet subscription. ONLY so that I have access to the enterprise-level applications, PLUS the full office suite (no more "borrowing" from work and definitely, no more warez...too many virii out there anyway). The PC I plan on building or buying will not have an O/S or any Office software, so it will practically pay for itself after I build 2 VMs (I'm gonna need about 6-10 for what I'm gonna be doing....).
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Even though I have access to both dreamspark and MSDN as a student, in my personal situation, I am better off spending the money for a Technet subscription. ONLY so that I have access to the enterprise-level applications, PLUS the full office suite (no more "borrowing" from work and definitely, no more warez...too many virii out there anyway). The PC I plan on building or buying will not have an O/S or any Office software, so it will practically pay for itself after I build 2 VMs (I'm gonna need about 6-10 for what I'm gonna be doing....).

I've seen discounts on Technet frequently. Are subscriptions still around 350 usually?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder. Downloading Visual Studio 2008 for my upcoming class now.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen discounts on Technet frequently. Are subscriptions still around 350 usually?

For Professional, yes. After some skimming, I did find this 25% code that may still be valid (as of August 11, 2010):

Buy, Renew or Upgrade Your TechNet Subscription

Even at $350 it's probably not a bad deal. Just for access to courses, which I would probably do for SQL Server 2008 and maybe that one course I'd need for MCITP: SA after I'm done with the EA, as well as building a couple VMs, the $350 pays for itself. Yeah you could probably torrent any MS software you want, but I'm through worrying about if some 12 year old Israeli (for example) is trying to hack my systems after I'm done running his torrent.

Having said all of that though, if you don't need Enterprise-level apps, then Dreamspark is definitely the way to go. I do, because after my MCITP I want to have a PeopleSoft lab with the latest tools available and use my project management skills to take charge of the next upgrade and how it should be. (Or most likely give the draft to my boss so he can take the credit....lol).
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    These are pretty great resources for students. I've downloaded some stuff off of MSDNA and Dreamspark. That reminds me for some reason my login doesn't work anymore at the MSDNA site I need to contact the professor that handles that stuff at my school.