Options

Cpu

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just curious how indeph the A+ exam goes as far as the evolution of the CPU. The Meyers guide Im studying with covers a large amount of history, and the many differences and upgrades over the years. Im aware that talk about the test questions has a very thin line between useful information and too much.

But should I spend alot of time and energy realizing the differences between every CPU listed in the book, (it starts at the Intel 8088 from 1978 lol), or should I just grasp and appreciate the suddel differences and focus more on how they work today.
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's fair game to focus on what the major sockets are, which CPUs are multi-core, which are 64-bit, etc. Difference between HyperTransport, Hyperthreading, and some basic stuff on caches. Mike Meyers included a free 1 hour video demo on the CD which covers CPU and RAM. Worth watching if you haven't. Also know which ones are socket-based (and PGA vs. LGA) and which are slot-based. Everything is fair game! I wouldn't worry too much about the ancient stuff.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't have to study the ancient stuff when I took the A+ as I had worked with 8088's back in the day..lol I guess I'm ancient.
    Cert Poor pretty well explained what you need to worry about.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.