Options

Job Hunt:Contacting the IT Director

falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok guys this is weird one...

So I know i started a thread about LinkedIn the other day since I just got into it and have been building my profile, making connections and applying for jobs.

So I apply to this unbelievable opportunity matching my experience and skill set at a Huge Company. If someone is familiar with LInkedIN, you can "INmail" a person (The Recruiter for this job, in my case) and kinda send them a cover letter type message.

Well its been a week and no response. No biggie, I am sure she's drying her hair or something :) But here is my question.

I have the contact info for the Directory Of Technology In that company and I am able to send him an "INmail" to introduce myself and give some info about me..

Now, I might be already out of the running (not to be pessimistic) but would this be a little too "strong" step to take? I don't want to taint any chance I have here....

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Might not be a good idea because depending on the scale of the company the guy may not even have any idea what position you're trying to fill.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I wouldn't do it, personally. To me that would be like calling his cell phone to introduce yourself and let him know you were applying. I don't think making contact with him is out of the question, though.

When I saw the opening for my current job online, I tried my best to find the name of the manager in charge of the hiring process for the position. They asked that you apply online but I wanted a name so that I could send a hard copy of my resume on nice paper. In the end, the only name I could find assiciated with the IT department for this company was the VP/CIO. I knew he wasn't doing the hiring but sent my resume and a well written cover letter to his attention anyway. Turns out he did read my info, and handed it down to the supervisor hiring for the position. That ended up being a big factor that set me apart from the crowd.

I think making contact is fine as long as you do it in a professional manner. A message over LinkedIN doesn't really seem professional to me.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't either man. Same reason as the others.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have to agree with the others here.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would wait, in my experience, the bigger the company, the slower the recruiters/hiring process. But after a while, once you feel that you won't ever get a response, I would, not going to hurt if the recruiter doesn't care.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input fellas...

I guess its the frustration at work that is getting the best of me. But i have not sent anything to the Director and probably wont do it.

I'll try to be patient and wait. Maybe the next step is trying to touch back with the recruiter.

And btw, the assumption that LinkedIN is like facebook and I should not be contacting someone on it is absolutely not true. I am not sharing my kids pictures with him or telling him "I am bored today: :) but the whole reasoning behind LInkedIn is to connect with other professionals and network..

In any case, thanks for the suggestions.