quick internship question - IS

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I found an internship that I'm going to apply for. They want someone with experience with windows workstation, server, and office. I only have limited experience with windows xp home, professional, and office 07.

They also state that the candidate should be able to demonstrate computer networking. So they listed routing, switching, security, and operating systems. The candidate would also do network troubleshooting, pc upgrades/repair, pc and terminal deployments.

I'm working on the CCNA (got CCENT) and Security+ exams. I've never configured a router, switch, or firewall in a live environment. I believe that I can explain alot of the CCNA material in technical terms and in non technical terms (requirement). I figure it's stuff I can learn on the job. They also have a few duties that I haven't done before such as managing of different hardware and assests and setting permissions.

Do you think I have a chance in the internship without the Windows experience that they want? I'm pretty sure I can learn it all and I have my Associates degree and the A+, Network+, and CCENT. I have had alot of customer service too.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    you have way more certs/experience than what i normally would assume someone looking for an internship has. an internship is all about learning, definitely apply for it.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you have way more certs/experience than what i normally would assume someone looking for an internship has. an internship is all about learning, definitely apply for it.

+1 You easily have the experience needed for this. If you get the interview, don't be afraid to let them know that your skills are weak in a couple areas, but that you are willing to learn. After all, an internship is all about learning. If you had all of the skills needed then they should be paying you icon_lol.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.