Options

Maybe you can help me remember the title of this DVD / Book

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was at Borders today and I was looking around just for fun and there was this DVD Book for Network +. It ran 85 USD and literally had 20 pages in it and a DVD. The front of it had a guy sitting in front a pc and mentioned how he taught A+, Security+ and Network+.

Any idea what this book is? The idea of doing a training video lesson sounds interesting.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    I was at Borders today and I was looking around just for fun and there was this DVD Book for Network +. It ran 85 USD and literally had 20 pages in it and a DVD. The front of it had a guy sitting in front a pc and mentioned how he taught A+, Security+ and Network+.

Any idea what this book is? The idea of doing a training video lesson sounds interesting.

The package/book etc...should have an ISBN #

If you are interested in DVD training, look into TrainSignal, their stuff is typically very good!

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Video-Mentor-Prowse/dp/0789739844 (how about this?)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    If the above link is correct, I picked up the Sec+ by Shon Harris and it's a great video.

However, it's not all inclusive, so you may or may not find that the NET+ will prepare you for all of your exam. I would expect it will give you some great tips and references though.

TrainSignal's material is much more detailed (and for Sec+ a little drier to get through, but very good).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The package/book etc...should have an ISBN #

If you are interested in DVD training, look into TrainSignal, their stuff is typically very good!

EDIT: Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Video Mentor (9780789739841): David L. Prowse: Books (how about this?)

THAT'S IT! Nice find bro!
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    If the above link is correct, I picked up the Sec+ by Shon Harris and it's a great video.

However, it's not all inclusive, so you may or may not find that the NET+ will prepare you for all of your exam. I would expect it will give you some great tips and references though.

TrainSignal's material is much more detailed (and for Sec+ a little drier to get through, but very good).

So it might not be all encompassing? What's the book for choice for Network +?
  • Options
    brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought that the Sybex Network+ book by Todd Lammle was a great resource for N10-004. I didn't use any other materials besides this book and scored ~870. There is also a deluxe edition with some additional study materials on CD, but IMHO these are unnecessary.
  • Options
    brewd wrote: »
    I thought that the Sybex Network+ book by Todd Lammle was a great resource for N10-004. I didn't use any other materials besides this book and scored ~870. There is also a deluxe edition with some additional study materials on CD, but IMHO these are unnecessary.

Sybex books tend to be good (at least with A+, Net+ And Sec+)

You may also consider the All-in-One Net+
    and the PDF technotes here is still good for prep.

And, considering the price on the DVD, no, I wouldn't assume it is all encompasing. What I did find though is they produce a very good, very limited topic coverage of the objectives and it would certainly be a useful tool to prep...particular for folks with limited hands-on. But it would not be a substitue for something like TrainSignal or some of the other CBT on the market...but I will bet (without watching that specific series) you'll find it enjoyable.

Check the cover, it should list what IS covered.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    I think most agree, the best book for security + is Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

and the Mike Meyers books for A+ and Net+
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The book I used for Net+ was crap but the Labsim videos were great. I scored an 865 mainly using them. The only thing I used the book for was to get the things I had to memorize (ports, media lengths and speeds) from. The labsim also had really good practice questions.
    Network+ Training - Order Today and Save on Network+ Online Training - LabSim
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    and the Mike Meyers books for A+ and Net+

No need to cosign on the first part of your post in regards to Sec+ (because I do and did everywhere else here...lmao) but this I definitely will cosign and +1.

Mike Meyers All in One and Passport books were excellent guides when I went for A+ and Network+ close to 5 years ago (2001 OBJ for A+ I believe and 2003 objectives for Network+).

Passed both of those certs (on those objectives) on the first try. (The '99 objectives I thought I could just wing it........and I try not to count those...lol).

Also, I don't know if he still does them, but I did buy my vouchers from his website when he offered them.