Options

Contract work with former employer questions

Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently received and accepted an offer for a position with a local university. Upon discussing my resignation and things that need to be documented before my final day with my manager, he asked if I would be interested in doing 1099 work on the side for them. He told me to let him know what the rate would be. I was only able to give them 9 days notice, one of which is a holiday, so only 6 actual work days.

1. What experiences has anyone had with doing this?..Good or bad
2. What types of things should I be aware of before agreeing to this?
3. How much over the hourly rate that they were paying should I tell him for the contact work?

I don't want to be still responsible for any issues that should occur
after I leave, but would like to help them during the transition to a new administrator because I wasn't able to give them much notice.

Any input would be appreciated....
WIP:
ROUTE

Comments

• Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sign on for contract work at roughly double what your rate was as an employee. Also, when you agree to something, have your boss sign a waiver stating that you are not responsible for anything that occurs while you are under contract.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just make sure it doesn't interfere with your new job. It is certainly doable, but when you start a new job, there is usually enough learning curve that even if you have the time, it may be best to avoid other work. You will have to gauge it yourself. Obviously, the financial benefits could be great, depending on how much money and time is being discussed. Also, on the double your hourly rate... I would hope that your new job pays more than your old job... so, I would lean towards double your new hourly rate.

The other side of this is that perhaps they won't even pursue it. They could just simply be evaluating their options and seeing what they could do if they don't find someone in a timely manner, or if the new person takes too long to ramp up. I have had this happen before, and I was anticipating something that didn't happen. That was good for me, at that time, because my new job was pretty hectic for the first few months, and I did have some other side work, as well.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It may be a good thing as they may just want you to get the new guy up to speed. As others have said get more hourly than you presently do ( the company will still save money on you) but don't let the new job suffer.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.