CCNA Equipment?

Brendan1986Brendan1986 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, my first post here :)

I have decided that I will finally take the plunge and order some books in order to study for the CCNA exam.

A friend of mine has two 2509's and two 2511's that he will sell to me for a very good price, however the 2509's would be considerably cheaper. Would I be better off with either model?

Thanks for the advice :).

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should be fine with the 2509's if it has 2 serial ports.,
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Brendan1986Brendan1986 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that :). Does anybody else have any other comments?
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Any router will be better then none, depends on your budget.
    Yeah, I know, but was wondering if the 2509's support everything required for the CCNA. If they do, then sure I will get them. But if the 2511's support something that is in the CCNA that the 2509's don't, and if it is important that I get hands on experience with that particular feature, I will consider getting the 2511's :)
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 2509 sounds better as it has 2 ethernet and 2 serial ports (plus some async serial ports) whereas the 2511 only has 1 ethernet port (the other ports are the same). However they are both good routers to get if the price is good.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
    Thanks guys, I'm going to get two 2509's (for $30 each :))
  • JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nethead wrote:
    The 2509 sounds better as it has 2 ethernet and 2 serial ports (plus some async serial ports) whereas the 2511 only has 1 ethernet port (the other ports are the same). However they are both good routers to get if the price is good.

The 2509 has 1 ethernet port, 2 sync serial, and 8 async serial.

The 2511 has 1 ethernet port, 2 sync serial, and 16 async serial.
  • XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I'm going to get two 2509's (for $30 each :))

Cool, I became jealous.
    Sell one for me for double price :D so you'll have your router for free.
    I am serious.
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The 2509 has 1 ethernet port, 2 sync serial, and 8 async serial.

The 2511 has 1 ethernet port, 2 sync serial, and 16 async serial

Whoops! you are correct.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
    Hehe, thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep these for a bit. Well, at least until I finish my CCNA and decide what I'm going to do after that.

Thanks for all the help, it was much appreciated. I'll probably be back on here with more n00b questions soon anyway :p lol.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    How much DRAM/Flash are on the 2509's you're getting. Also, what version IOS is loaded on it?
  • NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend getting at least three routers so you can play with clocking and pinging through a DCE device. BTW, you are getting an awesome deal on the 2509s. icon_eek.gif

With all of the money you saved, consider getting a used switch. I'm still a little numb hearing about the deal you got on the 2509s.....

There are a lot of good deals on Ebay for DCE to DTE cables; I got two 1-footers for under twenty bucks, including shipping.

Rock on, dude!!
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine
    porengo wrote:
    How much DRAM/Flash are on the 2509's you're getting. Also, what version IOS is loaded on it?

He doesn't know how much is installed - the guy just got these given to him, and he doesn't know anything about them.

He also doesn't know what version IOS is installed, either! But hell, for $60 I don't give a rats bum :p

Nocturnal, I was also thinking about that as well. What type of switch would you recommend?
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I've got a 1912 switch with seems to work fine for me. You could also get a 1924 which as 24 ports instead of twelve. I think the current CCNA test uses the 2950 switches which are not cheap.

Best of luck