Options

Which cert will be the most attractive to recruiters? (seeking advice)

I FINALLY got a job in I.T. again, having been out for several years, as a NOC tech.

Its working the third shift, and the money is less than I'd like, but its a job, and I've been looking for quite a while.

Anywho, while I want to get my CCNA, and have some experience with Cisco stuff, it bores me to no end to self study. Plus, I'd like to knock out my Comptia exams, and was wondering which one should I knock out first, that will allow me to get some nibbles from recruiters the quickest.

A+, Network+, and Security+. I also think these will fill in the gaps in my knowledge, as I have exp with PCs and networks, but have learned mostly on the job, and nothing high level. I would love to do security work, as I find it rather interesting, but not sure if I should knock that one out first. I also hoping that by passing these three, it might lead me in the direction that I really want to go in career wise, as I've also considering working on the LAN end, and eventually getting my MCITP.

I know all about the experience thing, but my biggest priority is staying employed, and being attractive to recruiters. The NOC I'll be working in isn't really what I want to do, as its for a wireless company. Nothing against the company, but its not where I want to be long term, and this is only a 3 month contract. I understand about paying my dues, but I'm hoping to build on my experience from several years ago, with certs, to get a nice bump in pay within a few months from someone.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I FINALLY got a job in I.T. again, having been out for several years, as a NOC tech.

Its working the third shift, and the money is less than I'd like, but its a job, and I've been looking for quite a while.

Anywho, while I want to get my CCNA, and have some experience with Cisco stuff, it bores me to no end to self study. Plus, I'd like to knock out my Comptia exams, and was wondering which one should I knock out first, that will allow me to get some nibbles from recruiters the quickest.

A+, Network+, and Security+. I also think these will fill in the gaps in my knowledge, as I have exp with PCs and networks, but have learned mostly on the job, and nothing high level. I would love to do security work, as I find it rather interesting, but not sure if I should knock that one out first. I also hoping that by passing these three, it might lead me in the direction that I really want to go in career wise, as I've also considering working on the LAN end, and eventually getting my MCITP.

I know all about the experience thing, but my biggest priority is staying employed, and being attractive to recruiters. The NOC I'll be working in isn't really what I want to do, as its for a wireless company. Nothing against the company, but its not where I want to be long term, and this is only a 3 month contract. I understand about paying my dues, but I'm hoping to build on my experience from several years ago, with certs, to get a nice bump in pay within a few months from someone.

Personally I think if security is something you are passionate about then Security + would be the cert to get. Regardless of what job you take even management level you could benefit from Security +. I don't own the certification, but a lot of people speak highly of it. Infact it seems to be one of the most popular certifications on this forum.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I let my interest and demands of my current job determine my certification path. When I started I was all about client and user support. After I got through that I started taking on a lot more server administration at work so I took Server+ and started my MCSE. As I approach the end of that I see that security is pretty interesting so I plan to do Security+. After I hit that I will decide which path to go down for sure.

Look at jobs you find interesting in your area on Monster or on a company's website. Usually they will list a ton of crazy things they are asking for. I saw an entry level security job asking for a CISSP. MCSA and/or MCSE are essentially on every admin job requirement. CCNA, A+, and Network+ are pretty common. I actually saw Server+ listed on one job and was shocked. I've never seen Security+ listed as a requirement.

If you're bored during self-study I would suggest going to www.cbtnuggets.com and trying their 60 minute free trial. A lot of people on here love them (myself included) and they're cheaper and more flexible than sitting a class. I guess working 3rd shift would open your schedule up some for classes, though.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see no reason to get an A+/Network+ if you're already working in a Cisco role. Jump in and get the CCNA. ICND1 covers all the Network+ stuff anyway. A+ is a step down cert wise. Security+ is good if you live in an area with lots of fed gov jobs.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see no reason to get an A+/Network+ if you're already working in a Cisco role. Jump in and get the CCNA. ICND1 covers all the Network+ stuff anyway. A+ is a step down cert wise. Security+ is good if you live in an area with lots of fed gov jobs.

I agree. CCENT/CCNA, then CCNA:Sec/Sec+ and then possibly CCNA:V or CCNA:W if you are working with voice and wireless respectively. Then head on down the CCNP path. If you guys are monitoring Juniper or checkpoint devices, get entry level certs from those vendors as well.
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+ is good if you live in an area with lots of fed gov jobs.

This. There's a reason why a bunch of people have been making a mad rush to get their Security+ lately. A lot of jobs might ask for higher level security certs like CISSP, etc. but if you plan to do any sort of work or contract work for agencies like the DoD, Security+ is a requirement.

With the new 3-year renewal policy going into place at the end of the year, it's a good idea to get yours now if you plan to at all.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I've actually seen some jobs through Indeed.com that are listing Sec+ as a requirement, maybe its just starting to be recognized a bit more.

Unfortunately, my NOC gig is going to expose me to Nortel switches. I say unfortunately, because I'd rather get more experience with the Cisco stuff, to build on prior knowledge, although its another thing I can throw on my resume.

What I like about the Cisco track too, is I can go in a variety of directions, Voice, Security, Wireless, etc, but I find it so boring to study. Jeremy Cioara (CBT Nuggets) is the only person who has made this interesting. I really just need to buckle down and knock out the CCNA. From what I've read, and based on job searching, the CCNA on my resume is bound to at least get me some calls, especially with the little bit of experience I have. While Security is the most interesting track to me (Voice being second), what I'm really trying to do is increase my marketability. I had been looking for a job forever, at least it seemed like, that I want to position myself so that the search isn't so long next time. Microsoft is also obviously in demand, but with the CCNA being 1 test, 2 max, it would be the quickest way to pretty up my resume in the short term. Having my CCNA, and some MS certs, I'm leaning towards either Exchange or Server Admin.
  • Options
    rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which are the best certs to get? That seems to be the million dollar question (at least for me). I have A+, Security+, MCSA, MCTS:upgrade exam and so far I have received minimal interest from employers. But you really only need to get a call from 1 employer to get a job; although a lot of activity would certainly make you feel like you were on the right track.
    I don't think that most people will get a huge amount of interest from employers with just the basic starter certs- any CompTia, MCP, even MCSA; but I think you have to get the easier ones in order to build up your knowledge for Intermediate and Advanced certs. Obviously IT job experience is going to help you the most, but if you had that you probably wouldn't be on an IT certification forum asking other people which certs are going to help you the most in getting a job.
    So in short I personally don't think any of the entry level certs are going to do much to help you get a job (especially in this job market). But they will make you more knowledgeable and assuming you are going to be someone that believes certifications will help you to advance in IT- you pretty much have to start somewhere. Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I'm looking at getting the Comptia certs both to fill in the cracks in my knowledge, as well as give me a bit more marketability than having zero certs. Plus, it should help in my more advanced certification pursuit.

Security+ might work out though, as I just got an interview for an identity management position (contract), and from the description, there is security work involved. Not the money I'd like, but I'm sure I can talk them up a couple of bucks if I rock the interview. Plus, unlike my current position, its normal hours, and not third shift.