I hate skillport.

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
What devices could you find on a LAN?

Desktop PC's

NIC's

Networking media

Printers

TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES?!

Or lets talk about topologies. I have been through Network+ courses, CNA, and some self study and I have never heard of a bus topology referred to as a "linear" topology, or heard of a tree topology or a cellular topology. Do they exist? Yes, but I have never seen them in my studies. Probably because excluding the tree topology, the terms are rarely used and not likely on my exam. I was taught, Bus, Star, Ring and Mesh. GRRR!

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah skillport sometimes has its' bad moments. Vent away Sephstorm.
    For WGU we were given these totally useless ILT books for the Net+ and Sec+ classes and they were word for word the skillport courses. So far skillport has been of no use to me except for providing me books 24x7.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I hate skillport. My MGC1 course is all videos (WTF?) that sound like they were recorded in the 1980s with the worlds most monotone man. The material was already bad enough, but the videos add to that boredom so much that I can't even stand to watch them.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ya, I have done over 500 hours of skillports and noticed that the questions can be poorly worded or wrong about 20% of the time. The actual training can be a hit or miss to. I recently tried the CEH material on there and it was pretty watered down information.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skillport is aweful

Their ITIL training and MSDCT training was atriocous.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Skillsoft wasn't much better. It was nice that I got free study material, but most of it was nearly worthless and I would rather pay to use the good stuff.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I got a few things to add here. As most the army (not sure about other branches) soldiers know skillports are worth promotion points. If you are trying to find some good training free for military go to https://www.vte.cert.org/vteweb/. I only quickly looked over there stuff but it seemed pretty good and it is from Carnegie Mellon University. Only thing I noticed was that some of them seem to include topic areas not really in-line with the certification.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am in an ITIL class now and Skillport is a requirement, seems like a waste to me, but the teacher keeps touting it as a wonderful tool
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Skillsoft wasn't much better. It was nice that I got free study material, but most of it was nearly worthless and I would rather pay to use the good stuff.

This is what I meant! Skillsoft, sorry folks, haven't seen Skillport.
  • Options
    Skillport is just one of Skillsoft's training products.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Skillport is just one of Skillsoft's training products.

Ahhhhhhh

Thanks for the clarification.

Junk