Options

cool new network cable

NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
Check it out

c890_universal_network_cable.jpg

Looks good for your tool bag or for lab use.

ThinkGeek :: Universal Network Cable

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think there was a thread that mentioned this in the CCVP forums a while back. I think Peanut was the person who brought it up. It looks pretty sexy.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty cool but kind of expensive at $30 a pop.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Pretty cool but kind of expensive at $30 a pop.
    Yeah, this universal cable is more of a novelty than a necessity. I pull it out at work just to spark a "geeky" conversation. Since I've had it (only a month or so), I've only had two situations in which I "needed" it. I had it in my bag one of the times but completely forgot and had one of our junior guys make a crossover! Right as he was about to crimp the 2nd end of the X-over, I remember I had it... doh! icon_redface.gif I treated the guy to a soda for his wasted effort! icon_lol.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely pretty cool if you do a lot of troubleshooting. I'd buy one if I needed it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was thinking it would come in handy for making a temporary connection that I could later replace when I made an actual cable.

Probably will wait for it to go on sale.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I was thinking it would come in handy for making a temporary connection that I could later replace when I made an actual cable.

Probably will wait for it to go on sale.

I'm with you on this one. A little pricey for the potential uses. Since it is usually a temporary fix/tool, a longer to implement but solid solution would probably be worth the time. But part of support is creating a workaround until that solution can be implemented, so this could have a few uses.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The combination of cable types is a little odd. Who really needs a straight through extension that short? :)

I just have a bunch of crossover adapters in my kit and a few patch cables. I chopped the DB9 plug off the end of a USB serial adapter and crimped an RJ45 plug on it as my console cable.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have one in my network/telco bag. Of course I also carry a crimper, RJ-45/11/12 connectors, and cat 5e/6 cable so it never gets used :) It gets lots of points for it's geek appeal, but as others have said, most of the time you are in a situation where the cable needs to stay behind and it's too expensive to leave. Probably fun for a lab though (I make all of my own cables there too).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    does look pretty cool. jearmy from cbt nuggets posted about it on his blog a few weeks back. might get on for my laptop bag. that and one stright through and i'm sorted. no use for my cable kit as its a bit redundent.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.