Options

Practice Test - Which do you use?

Hello all,

I have ready many posts here. I notice that some people use either MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.com or Transcender. Can you please share which you use and what you like about them?

Personally, I have used SelfTest and have been happy with their test questions. It's not so much that they are exactly the same as what I have seen on the certification exams, but they help me learn the material. I like that they give you good explanations to wrong answers. I usually read through all of the question the first time.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have ready many posts here. I notice that some people use either MeasureUp or SelfTestSoftware.com or Transcender. Can you please share which you use and what you like about them?

Personally, I have used SelfTest and have been happy with their test questions. It's not so much that they are exactly the same as what I have seen on the certification exams, but they help me learn the material. I like that they give you good explanations to wrong answers. I usually read through all of the question the first time.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I also use SelfTest, I have yet to try any of the others. but self test gets me through.
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Yeah, I use SelfTest also. I am wondering if each site has it's own questions or if they are all similar. I wouldn't mind paying for MeasureUp's question also if they are completely different than what I am getting at SelfTest. I don't want to drop an extra $80 for the same questions.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Self test and Transcender are basically the same except Transcender you get more questions and I think a few extras. The measure up most people use for these exams is the one included with the MS Press Training kit. The measure ups that come with the book are really good.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Self test and Transcender are basically the same except Transcender you get more questions and I think a few extras. The measure up most people use for these exams is the one included with the MS Press Training kit. The measure ups that come with the book are really good.

Good morning. I got my copies of the book from our IT library at work. I didn't see anything on the actual book about Measure Up questions. Do they come with the book or are they available online for free with the purchase of a new book?
  • Options
    It's a CD that comes with the book. If it's from a library it's probably not in the book anymore.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MeasureUp is garbage. I personally use Transcender, and others have already noted the similarity with STS.
  • Options
    For recent tests I've been seeing that the test questions are pretty similar to the ones on measure up. Transcender and STS are way better but I like using as many practice test questions as possible.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    For recent tests I've been seeing that the test questions are pretty similar to the ones on measure up. Transcender and STS are way better but I like using as many practice test questions as possible.

I agree about doing as many questions as possible, even if they are easy question. I'll plow thru a bunch of questions four or five times. For the 680 and 685, I used the 200 question that come with the MS Press book and then the STS questions. The 640 covers so much material, especially material that is new to me. I want to get as many questions to run thru as possible.

Maybe I can find a local friend that has the CD that came with the book.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    MeasureUp is garbage. I personally use Transcender, and others have already noted the similarity with STS.

I used MeasureUp for my MCITP EA back in 2008 when there was nothing else available and I thought it was pretty good. I passed the exam, forget which one it was now, with mid 800s. I thought those questions were very realistic in relation to the difficulty of the actual exam. It was their online offering, though.

I used to use the stuff provided by MS Press religiously and thought that it worked very well for the final phase of my study prep. I usually purchase SelfTest, though.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    I've used Selftest, Transcender and Measureup (the MSPress and purchased from their website). Selftest and Transcender seem to hammer certain topics a bit more and can throw some questions out of left field. Measureup seems to be more balanaced with straight to the point explanations whereas Selftest and Transcender are paragraphs long in some cases. I personally prefer to use both a measureup and selftest/transcender test just to get a well rounded view. Selftest/Transcender seem to match up better to the real exam (maybe its because they sit the real exam before they sell their product) but having said that some measureup questions and explanations helped with my 2008 exam prep. I personally prefer to get the 30/60 day online access option when they have discount prices.
  • Options
    I wanted to provide an update on this thread for anybody that comes along later. I ended up using the STS (which is the same as Transcender) and the MeasureUp questions. The MU questions were purchased thru the 30 day online access. While some people said they didn't like these questions, I wonder if they didn't like the MU questions that came with the book. Because I found the online questions very useful.

The combination of STS and MU was exactly what I needed. Each online access provided me with 150+ question each. Their questions were each very unique and provided differing scenarios. I highly recommend using both, especially if you lack real world experience as a network admin.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only use Measure test that come with the book and I think they are good.
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    I only use Measure test that come with the book and I think they are good.

I am using the MS Press books from our IT library. No Measure Up questions are included. However, I signed up the 30 day online access thru their website.