Options

How to track history on the internet?

JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, this post may sound weird but I going to continue anyways. My girlfriend's dad thinks that either his son or his wife is looking at stuff on the internet that they shouldn't. First, he didn't have any separate accounts for each person, he found the history with some **** sites. Now the person has learned how to delete the history but he found it in some of the cookies. I setup his computer with separate user accounts and set permissions on the "cookie" and the "history" folder so that no one can delete the cookies that way he can see where they are going if he checks the cookie folder in the documents and settings folder. The only problem is that even if I put the permission so they can't delete the history they can still delete it but they can't delete the cookies. The only problem is that if someone is smart enough, they can go to internet options and disable all the cookies and that screws everything up. The other problem is that the operating system is XP home edition and not Professional so I am some what limited in what I can do. I don't want to install software that tracks it but wanted to find out, if anyone knows, is there a way that I can create something like a "shadow" folder that mirrors each person's history but also create it where they can't delete it? Or does anyone else have any other advice on how to set his computer up? Thank you very much for all your help.

Comments

• Options
    taxmantaxman Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd use a keylogger.. log the usernames and passwords for sites that they are logging into, read their online profile if they have one, and you should be able to figure out who is doing what. Dates and times can be logged as well and the URL's of the sites visited. Some of them are pretty good and free as well... might find a few here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html

there are also some cookie management tools as well..
    Good hunting....
  • Options
    JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for all your help Taxman.
  • Options
    cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    hey man just a tought in this one:

If you had made seperate accounts for them and everybody his own password and you hold the administrator password so nobody can access it. i write an example :

Brother : Username
    Brother : password

Mother : Username
    Mother : Password

You : Administrator password
    You : Administrator password

So now what you do is enabling auding. When you are auditing you can see who deleted someting on what time. So you can find out because it will say eg Mother ( tuesday 32 of januari 2005 ) file deleted ( cookie@Sex.com ).

I think this will help as long you don't give your administrator pass to nobody. Oh yeah you can also put something in the user right assignment >>> change system time. So either of them can't change the system time.

CLIFF,
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would tell him it's probably the son. How many wives view **** on the net? Seriously? Although, if I was married, and my wife was looking at ****, I'm not sure I'd be upset, as long I got in too. But the kids should stay away. Besides, he can see what site they are going to by looking at the cookies. Either way, you could use a keylogger, or do the auditing method, both would work. The link in Tmans post doesn't seem to be working, but you can find proggies for free if you search. Just be aware, most of the free ones, are obvious to the user, or have a limited capability.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Marc12Marc12 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What about install a router and enable syslog. A linksys with a good 3rd party syslog viewer. You will see urls, ports used, times, dates, ip inbound, outbound, charts, graphs. It does not cost very much either.