Options

What Certs to get for newbie IT?

ryanshaferryanshafer Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]I am really looking to find out what would be the best Certs for a new guy in IT.

I have several years trouble shooting and fixing computers. I have experience with: re-installing OS, adding programs, maintaining anti-virus software, user accounts, networking and troubleshooting various computer problems. [/FONT]

I am wondering about these:

CompTIA A+

MCITP (Winows 7)

CompTIA Linux

Comments

• Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on what you want your area of focus to be. Do you ultimately want to go into networking, server admin, or something else?

Either way, the A+ is a good cert to have as a foundation. Microsoft certs are heavily sought, but you'll need to determine if that's the path you want to take.

BTW, welcome to the forums :)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, welcome to TE!

In response to your post, it really comes down to where you see yourself 5, 10, and 15 years later as well as what you currently work with. Give us a little more about you and where you are now and I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with detailed advice of some sort.

For now, I'll give you my 2 cents on each of the certs you mentioned.

Based on your description you may not need the A+ exam to validate your break/fix abilities. Attaining the cert might be nice but if you have five years of experience in PC repair, that experience speaks for itself. If you plan to be a professional technician as your mainstream career, the A+ and your experience will prove pivitol in making yourself marketable (as well as the MCITP:EDST and other desktop support certifications)

The L+ is a beautiful cert and is transitioning/already has roots with the LPIC-1 objectives. First and foremost, L+ is vendor neutral so these exams give you knowledge across distro types (Debian vs RHEL etc.). If you take Linux+ before October I believe, you will still fall under the old objectives. If you choose to go straight to the newer objectives that is a choice too. If you love Linux and might be getting into Unix administration of some sort then this along with the Red Hat Linux cert paths might be something to look at (RHCT, RHCE).

The Windows 7 exam by itself won't be a career changer but in combination with a Microsoft track it can prove great. For example, go for either MSCA, MSCE, or MCITP. The MSCA and MSCE paths are based on the Windows 2003 architecture and some of the specialty exams are expiring soon so I would hop on it if thats the path you choose. The Windows 7 exam serves as a client side exam for anyone of these tracks and will give you experience with either Windows Server 2003 or 2008.
  • Options
    I am just trying to get "IN". Not sure of what avenue I am looking towards. I just like computers. I am completing a cert program in GIS (Geographical Information Systems) but with out real world experience......not sure about that.

Did the graphics things for 8 yrs. and that has gone to crap. So I am really motivated to do what it takes to get into IT. I want kids soon so I need to figure out a path and run with that.

I am wondering how long it will take to get the MCITP cert? I wanna start with Windows 7 or A+ so I have something to show on my resume. Any idea's of what 1 or 2 certs would be best to complete and go from there?
  • Options
    SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ryanshafer wrote: »
    I am just trying to get "IN". Not sure of what avenue I am looking towards. I just like computers. I am completing a cert program in GIS (Geographical Information Systems) but with out real world experience......not sure about that.

Did the graphics things for 8 yrs. and that has gone to crap. So I am really motivated to do what it takes to get into IT. I want kids soon so I need to figure out a path and run with that.

I am wondering how long it will take to get the MCITP cert? I wanna start with Windows 7 or A+ so I have something to show on my resume. Any idea's of what 1 or 2 certs would be best to complete and go from there?

I would get started with the A+ certification then go from there.

If you want to take on a Microsoft client exam afterward, the 70-680 (Windows 7) exam would be a good one, since many companies are transitioning to Windows 7.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you decide to go straight to security, I'd suggest the Security+ right after the A+. The Security+ builds upon the A+ and Network+ so you would need to self study the Network+ to get a general consensus as to what they're asking you on the Security+.

Objectives for the exams are here:

Download Exam Objectives

Free online training is available through Professor Messner's site:

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

He offers both his A+ and Network+ courses for free.

For the Security+, if you choose, I highly suggest Darill Gibson's book. Its the rave of the forum:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

If you want to end up in government IAT, CND, or IAM, Security+ is a good start.

Reminder: The A+, Network+, and Security+ are lifetime certs if earned before the end of this year and if you join a private company that does not deal with the 8570 directive (basically non DoD government affiliates).
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First off, welcome to TE!

In response to your post, it really comes down to where you see yourself 5, 10, and 15 years later as well as what you currently work with. Give us a little more about you and where you are now and I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with detailed advice of some sort.

For now, I'll give you my 2 cents on each of the certs you mentioned.

Based on your description you may not need the A+ exam to validate your break/fix abilities. Attaining the cert might be nice but if you have five years of experience in PC repair, that experience speaks for itself. If you plan to be a professional technician as your mainstream career, the A+ and your experience will prove pivitol in making yourself marketable (as well as the MCITP:EDST and other desktop support certifications)

The L+ is a beautiful cert and is transitioning/already has roots with the LPIC-1 objectives. First and foremost, L+ is vendor neutral so these exams give you knowledge across distro types (Debian vs RHEL etc.). If you take Linux+ before October I believe, you will still fall under the old objectives. If you choose to go straight to the newer objectives that is a choice too. If you love Linux and might be getting into Unix administration of some sort then this along with the Red Hat Linux cert paths might be something to look at (RHCT, RHCE).

The Windows 7 exam by itself won't be a career changer but in combination with a Microsoft track it can prove great. For example, go for either MSCA, MSCE, or MCITP. The MSCA and MSCE paths are based on the Windows 2003 architecture and some of the specialty exams are expiring soon so I would hop on it if thats the path you choose. The Windows 7 exam serves as a client side exam for anyone of these tracks and will give you experience with either Windows Server 2003 or 2008.

It really depends on what you want to do. I'll give you this real world advice, I have been considered for several jobs paying upwards of 70,000 dollars, EXCEPT for the fact I don't have Linux skills or experience. It seems all the job recruiters I have spoken with are really hard up for people with this skill set. If you can leverage some real world knowledge with a Unix/Linux certification you should be in really good shape.

Another certification that I really think is a big one to have it Security +.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'll throw down for the general 3 to start you out. That would be A+, Net+ and Sec+. After that figure out what you want to do and go down that path, whether it be networking or systems, microsoft or linux, cisco or juniper, etc etc. The IT world is all about what you like, don't do something because you think it can make rich. You'll find yourself old and bored if you do that.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Man. Thank you ALL for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate it. I just need to get in an entry level help desk along with getting the CompTia certs and sounds like I might be alright. Thanks again to all who posted back.

Ryan
    :D
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    all this forum's praise for Security+ and Daril's book has me sold... just ordered the book on Amazon.com, taking an A+ class in two weeks and then a Net+ class after that, try to self study Securtiy+ so I can get all 3 before the end of the year
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    If you are talking about getting a job in IT. A+ most likely won't do it unless you are that lucky in the current job market.

The best keys to open the door (get interviews) are CCNA & MCSE. Neither of them are easy tasks. It WILL take months to complete. Now, I only mentioned about getting interviews, what about a job offer without years of experineces on your resume? You must have something EXTRA to offer during interview beside the CCNA & MCSE papers, and I will leave that to you to figure out ... icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tearofs wrote: »
    If you are talking about getting a job in IT. A+ most likely won't do it unless you are that lucky in the current job market.

The best keys to open the door (get interviews) are CCNA & MCSE. Neither of them are easy tasks. It WILL take months to complete. Now, I only mentioned about getting interviews, what about a job offer without years of experineces on your resume? You must have something EXTRA to offer during interview beside the CCNA & MCSE papers, and I will leave that to you to figure out ... icon_twisted.gif

Agreed

A+ alone is starting to really lose ground, so many people have it. It is no longer a cert that seperates you. I agree you need something else that packs a punch and seperates you. MCSA or CCNA would most certainly do that. In my opinion Security + is still a fairly rare certification and provides an extreme amount of ROI. There isn't one IT position where security + doesn't help you. Not to say A+ or other certs hurt you, but to actually help you. There are some jobs A + doesn't help, I highly doubt that with security +. One other thing look for trending, and what is becoming bigger and bigger. SECURITY