Options

Catalyst switches

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here's a question that's been bugging me that I should know already. What's the difference between a regular switch and a "catalyst" switch? I've seen it often enough, but I never thought to ask about it.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Catalyst is the brand-name of Cisco's most popular series of switches. When someone says they're using a "Catalyst switch", it just means that they're working with a Cisco switch. Other companies have names for their switch-lines as well, like HP's ProCurve or Dell's PowerConnect.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Slowhand pretty much wrapped this up in a single post ;)
  • Options
    Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks. I had thought that there was a difference between a regular switch and a "catalyst" switch. My mistake.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    There is a difference between older Cisco switches and newer ones, in that the older ones are using CatOS, and the newer ones are using IOS (plus other variants like NX-OS if you start including the Nexus boxes), however the name alone does not distinguish between them, its the model number and age.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    There is a difference between older Cisco switches and newer ones, in that the older ones are using CatOS, and the newer ones are using IOS (plus other variants like NX-OS if you start including the Nexus boxes), however the name alone does not distinguish between them, its the model number and age.

And the supervisor module, in some cases.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.