Options

why isnt it in the book?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
why isnt it in the book?
I got daryls book and dont get me wrong I like it I enjoyed reading it learnt a lot from it
and I read it twice book one question to ask how come it doesnt mention stuff like this:

Armoured Virus .Companion Virus Macro Virus Multipartite Virus Phage Virus
Polymorphic Virus Retrovirus Stealth Virus

so I read the book like I did twice and non of this was mentioned in the book, if I took the test I wouldnt know any thing about this stuff so Why isnt it in the book.? Isnt it very important? Cos from a security point of view I would think it would be an important thing to include in the book and in the exams you would see it and wonder why they were not touched on with any of the resources you used.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of the reasons why it's best to use more than one source. While Darril's book is a really good source you should still get another to go with it or at least research anything that is lacking in Darrils book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are correct, none of that is in the book. I spoke with Darril about this a couple of weeks ago. He believes that the material is not going to be showing up on your test, so he didn't include it. I ran into it on several practice exams, but just because Transcender feels that it needs to be known doesn't mean that it is on the real test.

And just like Earweed said, no single source is perfect.

EDIT: Check out this other thread. http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/55027-knwminus-security-trek-7.html We discussed this a little bit, and at the very least got some definitions for it thanks to xSequentialx's notes.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DoubleD wrote: »

Yep. It isn't in there at all. I was shocked when Devils mentioned it but I guess you just need to check the objectives before you take the exam and use more than one source.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe he's teaching you that infosec is all about research anyway. Suck it up and hit google ;)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Yep. It isn't in there at all. I was shocked when Devils mentioned it but I guess you just need to check the objectives before you take the exam and use more than one source.

And even if it isn't on the real test, this is some fundamental knowledge that you should have at least heard before. Now if someone asks me about a polymorphic virus I won't accuse them of pulling my leg.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DoubleD wrote: »
    why isnt it in the book?
    I got daryls book and dont get me wrong I like it I enjoyed reading it learnt a lot from it
    and I read it twice book one question to ask how come it doesnt mention stuff like this:

so I read the book like I did twice and non of this was mentioned in the book, if I took the test I wouldnt know any thing about this stuff so Why isnt it in the book.? Isnt it very important? Cos from a security point of view I would think it would be an important thing to include in the book and in the exams you would see it and wonder why they were not touched on with any of the resources you used.

Always buy two sources of material. I have Darril's book and Security+ study guide by Mike Pastores. After reading both books twice, I determined that Darril's book explained the objectives much better. However, Mike Pastores book explains each virus and give a more indepth description of all the functions on an IDS. So, like everyone else mentioned it is totally were investing in more than one source of materials. For example I am using Darril's book, Mike Pastores, technotes, practice exams, etc. just to ensure that i covered as much as possible.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is nothing wrong with researching stuff that's lacking in one or two sources of materials. Consider this though:

When I was studying for cryptography, I didn't see SkipJack cipher included in either Sybex or Darril. Transcenders certainly felt like I needed to know what it was. I still do....80 bit block cipher for the Clipper Chip. But did I need to spend another $20-$80 dollars for a book JUST to fill gaps? NO. That's what you got Google and Wiki for! [I NEVER STOP AT THE WIKI! I always read a Wiki that's been cited properly and then read the cite.....]

You will never have an item that's all-inclusive. That's why when I go for MCITP:EA, I will use MS Press and Sybex. (Sybex does a better job at explaining DNS than the MS Press book for the 70-642, as I understand the reviews....but I'll have both anyway so that I can see what's up....) But I trust that even both of them will have something missing...I may pass the exam, but maybe not high.

Now, I did use multiple items to study for Sec+....but toward the end, it was Darril that filled my brain with the objectives of Security+.