Options

Quick Ramble...

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Just a quick rant…

So I failed my Route pretest badly (even factoring out ISIS/Multicast, it was a BSCI test), double frustrated as a coworker who used a certain “king” or cheats just passed his entire CCNP and rubbed it in. Been at this on an off for well over a year. It just seems I am forgetting more than I am learning. I think I just need more experience that I am just not getting here. Suppose I am stuck in that IT catch22. Need the cert for the experience, need the experience for the cert.

Applying around and talking to people. Hoping to make a move out of my job pretty soon. I had a couple of bites but the demand for *Nix/SANs/vSphere is holding me back. I need to step up my game.

I think I can learn and earn Linux+ and MacOS support essentials pretty quick. Thoughts? My
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you want to do and where do you want to go? Maybe you should hold off on doing Route for now. Picking up some linux knowledge seems like it would help you out. I am actually quite jealous of your certs and experience icon_sad.gificon_thumright.gif. I remember you talking about your job in another post. Things haven't changed?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd report your co-worker to Cisco, get him fired, take on his workload, problem solved.

:D
  • Options
    Jealous? Ha! Trust me, I am chump with too much time commuting on the trains each day. (2 hours a day of study time)

I have gotten some great experience here and there, but the vast majority of my work has been desktop support. And now, it’s really low level help desk stuff. So I need to move on. I think the only reason they kept me around after the layoffs is some random specialty knowledge I have. (some vendor related stuff) I’m all done with my wedding and what not (w007) so I got not excuses.

I am certainly thinking if I am having this much trouble with Route I am never going to be able to take on Tshoot. At least not this year. So Linux+ should go pretty quick. I took a few courses in Linux in college and did the Linux+ vtc.com last year. I have run Linux as my desktop OS on an off for years. So… maybe. Ill pick up a book and feel out where I am.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I'd report your co-worker to Cisco, get him fired, take on his workload, problem solved.

Spoken like a true CCIE candidate :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd agree with the report. My question from a legal standpoint is how do you prove it? Did he tell you what sites he used?

EDIT: I guess if they technically went looking for his full name via the site in a legal manner it may be proof enough lol.

In terms of learning about Linux, dynamik referred me an amazing book that can help you get started. I made a hyperlink in my signature that will take you to the Amazon page for it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd agree with the report. My question from a legal standpoint is how do you prove it? Did he tell you what sites he used?

Water-board him.
  • Options
    Water-boarding seems reasonable. In all reality I can assure you my employer doesn't care about the validity of people's certs. It would only make me look bad. Trust me, we have a number of paper tigers in some high ranking spots. I only mentioned it more out of frustration more than anything else.

I am still wanting to move into more advanced generalist areas. I have no urge to be a networking or security or database guy. I really like messing with new things all the time. Then again I think if I am ever going to break my current pay barrier I am gonna need to get some specialization in. I thought Cisco would be it, but that isn't working out.

I suppose I would get CCNA:Wireless, it looks easy enough... feeling like I need direction again. Hmm
    -Daniel
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    Do your best in getting a job where you can get a better experience. Try Cisco/ISPs partners, Good luck....
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Seems like you might just need a break from the CCNP material to clear your head and feel less frustrated. Going for Linux+ might just do the trick, then you can get back to the routes and switches and put the CCNP away.

As for your cheating co-worker: the phrase, "and that's when I shot him," comes to mind.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.