Unsure where to go

Man it's been a long time since I've logged into here, but I definitely need some advice with some direction.

A whlie ago, my goal was to get the CCIP then move to the CCIE but unfortunately real life has been in the way for a while so I haven't had the time to do much studying. Fortunately I was able to nail the QoS exam before my life became to hectic AND also do a bunch of studying for the BGP exam (to the point I was ready to take it). But sadly when i was going to schedule it things came up and I never got around to it.

That was then, this is now... so now I'm feeling the itch again and have some time so I'm not quite sure what I want to do. I have 2 logical options and 1 good-yet-not-as-logical option.

Option 1: Go back and re-brief over all the BGP material and labs I did and then schedule the test. Once passed then move on to MPLS to finish the CCIP

Option 2: Start going over BGP again but also start really hitting MPLS hardcore and then in a few months do the BGP+MPLS composite exam to finish the CCIP.

Option 3: Don't bother with a lot of it and do some CCNA Security/CCSP stuff (granted the equipment availability for the CCSP is far less than the CCIP/CCIE for me)

At this point I'm really struggling between option 1 and option 2.. with option 1 I could probably study a bit less and hit the BGP exam and pass without much issue, and then spend a good solid few months for MPLS.. with option 2 I would do a lot of BGP review anyway WHILE studying for MPLS and then take the composite and finish up everything (I'm fully aware the composite is more difficult , but I feel it's something I could do with enough studying)

Thoughts / Suggestions?
CCIE - COMPLETED!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you want to do with your career. Do you want to do security stuff or work for a service provider? If you choose the IP I'd do the composite. BGP+MPLS study go very well together and I didn't think it was very difficult.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    That's one problem I tend to have with this stuff is that I really like all of it, the only thing I don't like that much is Voice (granted what little i do know is somewhat interesting). I've always had an interest in network security since I started in this field many years ago, but the routing/switching and even service provider stuff is really neat too.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Which one is going to help you more to reach you goals? Thats what I'd go for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Which one is going to help you more to reach you goals? Thats what I'd go for.

Well from what I gather the CCSP is a bit more marketable but I don't have much experience with ASA's or PIX's granted it is more of my interest.

The CCIP would most likely compliment the most given current experience level , interest, and foundation wise.. would give me a good start on the CCIE R&S, which speaks for itself.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!