Options

CCENT or CCNA

Burdette121Burdette121 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I was going to pursue the CCENT but as I went over some information and took some practice tests on it. I pretty much feel that it would be really easy for me to pass.

is the CCNA a much bigger leap compared to the CCENT ?

Thanks Chris

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's a leap, but knocking it out with one test used to be very popular. But nowadays if you go that route, you won't get the CCENT cert. It's up to you if you consider that important or not.
  • Options
    feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't get it. Why would you want a CCENT when you have a CCNA?
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    feng.lian wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why would you want a CCENT when you have a CCNA?

I don't know why somebody would. I'll put the CCENT on my resume when I get it and then when I pass the ICND2 I'll take the CCENT off and replace it with CCNA. Putting both is just redundant.

However I don't see any reason to go the one exam route. It doesn't cost any extra to do the 2 exams and it seems like time management would be more of an issue with the single exam CCNA.
  • Options
    iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kind of like having 2 year degree and a 4 year degree....
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    iyare wrote: »
    kind of like having 2 year degree and a 4 year degree....
    In a way, yes. A lot of people list their highest-level cert and leave the lower-level off, (like taking the CCNA off if you have a CCNP or CCIE, for example.) Then again, sometimes it's nice to have some "filler" on your resume if you don't have a whole lot of experience and/or only one or two certs. Even if recruiters and hiring managers don't know exactly what the CCENT is, they'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing it there next to your CCNA. Kind of the same way it may sometimes be helpful to list both, say, a B.S. in Mathematics and an A.S. in Network Administration, if you're applying for a sysadmin job that requires a four-year degree and you're worried the math background isn't relevant enough, for example.

As for which you should study for? I think you should take ICND1, then ICND2, and you'll have both without the strain that taking the single CCNA exam causes. The two-exam path doesn't cost any more than the one-exam path, so there's no real advantage to taking the single exam anymore, as gosh1976 mentioned.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.