CBTNuggets Player

I'm not sure if this the best spot to ask this or if anyone really cares about this but I am annoyed with CBT Nuggets new media player for streaming subscribers. It uses silverlight and there is no way to allow the video to be played 2x speed or more which i used to be able to on the old site. I have asked about them using something like Flash to play the videos and they keep giving back the standard response: "Increased player speed capabilty, .mp3 files (available now), and media player additions may be apart of these features in the not to distant future. For now, we are working on ensuring all of the current features are operating correctly and are fully functional before moving on to the next phase of implementation."

Whats more i have contacted them regarding a tool that can actually be used to download the source file of the video that you are watching in the player and they didnt seem to concerned. I would have thought it would be a massive security breach that i can download the source file of the video that i am watching. Not that i would but i dont know if i will be renewing my subscription if they stick with this media player.

In any case i just wanted to see how many people actually like to be able to watch their cbt streaming training videos at a faster playback speed.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Absolutely. I always watched between 1.5-2.0x. I hate their streaming player. Don't the physical products now play on some garbage proprietary format now too?

The thing that sucks is that Nuggets puts out AMAZING material, but stuff like this makes it difficult to use. I'm sure it's a managerial decision, much like how DRM can ruin good games for legitimate players.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Absolutely. I always watched between 1.5-2.0x. I hate their streaming player. Don't the physical products now play on some garbage proprietary format now too?

The thing that sucks is that Nuggets puts out AMAZING material, but stuff like this makes it difficult to use. I'm sure it's a managerial decision, much like how DRM can ruin good games for legitimate players.

You get +rep for this. The nuggets are the hardest product I have ever used. It is such a shame that they put out good content that makes me crawl back. Trainsignal is the clear winner here. Not only can you convert the media to the form best suitable, but they also give you the .AVI's, .mp3's, and even .m4v's that will play on your ipod or most mobile phones.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    dynamik wrote:

I've been streaming their stuff since the beginning of last yr so i'm not sure what they provide when you buy a video series but i know that the source videos in the new player are all mp4 files.

What i dont like is that they have in effect changed their product half way thru my subcscription. I know they could argue i am still getting the same product but is it really? Obviously the content is the main product but if the mode of delivery impacts your experience with their product then that cant be a good thing.

Hopefully if enough people reply to this thread they might see that it is a concern.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I could not imagine not being able to play Nuggets in fast mode!
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I can understand their POV though in wanting to protect their IP. Has anybody ever seen how much of their content is now accessible through torrents and other download sites? The only CBTN courseware I've ever seen is the CCNA series borrowed from a coworker, it seemed decent.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
    I've spoke with them a couple times about my frustrations. I actually got a reply from Hayes Nelson (Vice President) who assured me that the majority of customers are quite happy with their product and like the DRM because it cuts costs down. I replied asking how he knew this and never heard another word from him.

If enough people start replying to this saying they agree with myself, I'll send this thread to him as an example of how his customers really feel. If not, I'll let the issue go.
  • triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do watch at a faster speed. sometimes upto 2x if the speaker is really talking slow and if i just want to revise some topic i watched earlier.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    agreed. I really enjoyed watching the videos 1.5x faster, and really miss that feature with the streaming player. DRAMATICALLY cuts down on time without losing much, if any, information.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've spoke with them a couple times about my frustrations. I actually got a reply from Hayes Nelson (Vice President) who assured me that the majority of customers are quite happy with their product and like the DRM because it cuts costs down. I replied asking how he knew this and never heard another word from him.

If enough people start replying to this saying they agree with myself, I'll send this thread to him as an example of how his customers really feel. If not, I'll let the issue go.
    I'd like to see their response
  • jdcbtnuggetsjdcbtnuggets Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One and all:

I'm JD, and I work for CBT Nuggets.

I wanted to let you know that we're listening when you ask, and have a developmental alternative player that will allow you to stream in double speed.

Anyone who owns/views a regular product still can view at 1.5 and 2.0 speed, so there's no change there...

Just send an email to jd@cbtnuggets.com, and I'll get you set up to be able to use it.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to talkin' with you.
    One and all:

I'm JD, and I work for CBT Nuggets.

I wanted to let you know that we're listening when you ask, and have a developmental alternative player that will allow you to stream in double speed.

Anyone who owns/views a regular product still can view at 1.5 and 2.0 speed, so there's no change there...

Just send an email to jd@cbtnuggets.com, and I'll get you set up to be able to use it.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to talkin' with you.

I think its great that you have joined our forum. The trainsignal guy has been around for awhile now and has been able to provide information about their product as well as being a way to relay information back.

Welcome to TE and I hope that you are able to be an active member.
  • jdcbtnuggetsjdcbtnuggets Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind welcome, and I am ready, willing, and able to listen, help you guys out, and be the best way to get the information back to us...

I'll keep you informed, and you do the same!

Lookin' forward to it!