Options

Hotmail dead smtp server?

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone use hotmail/live pop3/smtp to get their mail? I have it setup on my phone and my computer. I tried to send an email on my phone today, and was told that my credentials were incorrect. (This was at about 5:30 central). I played with the settings, retyped my password, tried different port numbers and different encryption with each (normally I use TLS on 587 with smtp.live.com as the server) with no sucess.

Even though my phone "had the incorrect password" it kept trying to send the message. I would keep getting notifications that it failed. It also drained me from about 80% battery to 0% battery in about 2 and a half hours (now my phone is a battery hog as is, but that is insane. I was roaming too, so that didn't help).

I get home to investigate further, and my outlook can't send emails either. So hotmail either has a broken server, or they changed their port configurations.

Does anyone else have a hotmail or live account that they access via pop3/smtp?

I can receive emails on my phone and laptop with no issues, just can't send them. (I can send them from hotmail.com)
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    Also, I tried to ping smtp.live.com and received no response. (Which could be normal). I did a telnet over port 25 and I was able to make a connection. So the server is still alive.

EDIT: It also responds over port 587, which is the normal port that I use.
  • Options
    From my testing I was pretty sure it was there end. Wanted to toss it out to you guys before I drove myself nuts trying to fix it.

Thanks
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    That Microsoft help site is the only way you can get service status alerts about Hotmail. Messenger has its own site that gives you better information but Hotmail only has that from what I can tell. If there is a yellow bar at the top then something is broken somewhere...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    That Microsoft help site is the only way you can get service status alerts about Hotmail. Messenger has its own site that gives you better information but Hotmail only has that from what I can tell. If there is a yellow bar at the top then something is broken somewhere...

LOL

I'll have to bookmark that page. When it had issues in the past I had to go through a maze to find the answer. I'm still upset that they discontinued their HTTP server about a year ago. Keeping my mail synchronized took a bit more time (lag when doing things) but it did mean that when I read mail online at work that I wouldn't come home to find it all unread in outlook. Of it I replied to something in the web version, it would show that I did in outlook.
  • Options
    Problem is solved. Checked the site to find no yellow and sent a test message. It is nice when things work like they are supposed to.