Options

How far is your commute?

I'm curious about how far some of your commutes are these days? I may have a phone interview coming up if they get back to me and the drive would be about an hour and 15 minutes. I don't think that's all that unusual in the Atlanta area however I am south of the city and this job is south of me. That's actually a plus as all the traffic is heading into the city in the morning and I would be going the other direction however I was planning on moving back into the city in the near future.

I think I will have to consider this job if I have the opportunity it has been rough trying to get back into IT. The pay will just have to make the commute worth it and I'll have to be able to get back to the University in time for class. I can always stay where I'm at for now and consider moving elsewhere on the southside if I am lucky enough to be offered the job and it turns into a long term gig.

So anyway considering the possibility of interviewing for this job has made me wonder: how far is your commute and how long does it take?

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    a 30 second walk.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    25-30 minutes with no traffic (drove up on a weekend once). Ususally takes me about 45 to get here in the morning but I can get home in about 30.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    30-40 mins....right in to the heart of morning rush hour....now that school has started it has gotten alot worse
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Last year .. .2 miles, ~5 minutes. This year 15 miles, ~20 minutes on country roads. Have a high mpg hybrid to go with the commute.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    25 miles one way
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Countryboi wrote: »
    30-40 mins....right in to the heart of morning rush hour....now that school has started it has gotten alot worse

I've had my job for several months now. My last one was about 5 miles away and I could be there in less than 10 minutes. Traffic was never an issue.

What frustrates me now is that it is impossible to judge the commute. I usually leave an hour before I start (sometimes I'm 5-10 minutes late, but the goal is to give myself an hour). Some days I can drive straight in and get here with 30 minutes to spare. Other days I can walk in right at my starting time. I try to take a look at traffic before I leave, but it often isn't a lot of help. For example today, it was red pretty much my whole commute and there was even an accident in one part. I left 10 minutes after seeing that and ran into the usual stop and go but was still able to make it here in about 45 minutes. No sign of the accident that was supposed to slow me down.

Last week or the week before I was listening to the radio, and right before I got on the highway I hear there is about a 1 minute delay on the first highway that I drive on. I consider it to be insignificant and get on anyway. Turns out that 1 minute delay was a 25 minute delay, so you can't even trust what the tv and radio say.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    It's only 5 miles to our home office, but it takes about 30 minutes on average. If I didn't have go from there to remote sites almost everyday, I'd ride a bike.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    15 mins during summer when school is out. 20 mins if i get through my part of town before the school buses come. 45m-1h if i get stuck behind the school buses.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    5 minute drive but getting in can take up to 30 minutes..
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    When I was employed, my last job was an hr door to door (I took the metro into DC). My job before that, I was driving against the flow of traffic and mornings took 15 minutes and evening 25 usually. I had one job in San Jose when I lived in Pleasanton which was on a good day a 3 hr commute total and that was going in late and leaving late. During rush hour, it would be 4ish hours. How it sucked! 20-30 minutes is in my happy zone but sometimes you do what ya gotta.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    181 miles if I'm working out of the London office :D About 5 miles if I'm in Manchester (thankfully thats over 90% of the time).
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    22.5 miles, usually 30-40 mins. Some days its taken over an hour due to construction. I swear we have two seasons here in MN - winter and construction.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sitting at about 16 miles to the office, averages to be about a 30 minute drive in and about a 35-40 minute drive home. A lot further than I used to have since I moved further away, but I much prefer where I'm living now so it's worth the extra drive time.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    30 Miles currently, soon to be 5 mile. :)
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    35 miles....40-45 minute drive
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    10 minutes to the office, but I often travel full days and can be 30+ minutes from my hotel to the client in some less populated areas.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    35 miles....40-45 minute drive

About that for me too. Can be up to an hour some days.

Think my worst was 2 hours for 35 miles - there had been a serious accident on the motorway in the poor weather.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    well I had a phone interview for the job that made me start this thread and I think it went fine. It is actually a contract position to start very soon and go through the end of the year. There is a slight possibility that it could go longer or even turn into a permanent position.

I have a job now but it's not in IT and the pay isn't that great so i think I will consider taking it if I make it that far. Hopefully with some updated experience in the industry it will make the job search at the end of the contract go a lot smoother and I'll just have to be sure I save up plenty of money in case I end up out of work for a while after the contract ends. It does make me a bit nervous being a temp job in today's job market. The hope is that I spending 4 months or so on those long commutes will lead into a more permanent position closer to home.

well I'll find out tomorrow if I made it to the second phase which is a more technical phone interview and then the last step would be an in person interview.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    35 minute Red Line ride to the Loop.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    2 blocks :)
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    22.5 miles, usually 30-40 mins. Some days its taken over an hour due to construction. I swear we have two seasons here in MN - winter and construction.

Especially this year. They got extra federal money and are trying to take care of all of the repairs that are scheduled over the next 3 years.

I looked into bussing to see how long it would take. Bus to work would be an hour, which isn't too bad. It is 15 minutes more than I have now, but I could read a book or something. The killer is the ride home, it would be a little over 2 hours. I'm not waiting 2 hours to get home, that is prime dinner time.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    110 miles round trip. I have done it for a year now and I am ready to blow my head off....

The morning drive is fine its the drive home that sucks. If I leave at 4:30 or 5 I get home the same exact time no matter what. I have to either leave at 3:30 which is impossible due to my schedule or if I leave at 5:30 I get home quicker. My son goes to sleep at 8:30 so by the time I get home its play with him a bit, bath time, play a little more and he is rubbing his eyes for bed time. This current job was great learning wise though.

My new job? Commute will be ZERO, get up take a shower, get dressed and walk into my computer room and log in.

Well I do have some travel but those are paid for transportation (plane).
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    About an hour and half each way when I hit the office. I usually go three times a week and the other two days work from home. Usually stop for a coffee each way as in the early morning I need a wake up drink to get my head together and in the evening a relax drink before I get home to wifey and son :) Can do it in just over an hour if traffic is kind and I floor it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Turgon wrote: »
    About an hour and half each way when I hit the office. I usually go three times a week and the other two days work from home. Usually stop for a coffee each way as in the early morning I need a wake up drink to get my head together and in the evening a relax drink before I get home to wifey and son :) Can do it in just over an hour if traffic is kind and I floor it.

I got back into Podcasts due to traffic lol.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Usually, 20 minutes, 14 miles. Mostly interstate, but the first portion is a city street, which can slow me down. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes on that road, other times I can hit green the whole way and do it in five.

Some days I go straight to one of our two main clients... one is 90 miles(1.5 hours), other is 25 miles(half hour).

Old job was 3.5 miles, could do it in five-ten minutes, depending on traffic. I was about to start biking that, but got the job where I am now.

All times/distances are one-way.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    probs between 45 - 60 mins depending on traffic...or more like how many idiots break down on the motorway :D

if there was no traffic or any traffic lights it wouldnt be anywhere near as bad as its only 13 miles!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking