Options

Just curious, what does the other companies do without Cisco proprietary protocol?

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Mainly curious about Juniper. While EIGRP, HDLC are useful, they also have alternate solutions that will work quite well. However, CDP, Cisco frame-relay LMI, VTP, BPDU guard, and probably others that I can't think of right now either don't have an industry standard counterpart or in the case of Cisco frame-relay LMI, if the DCE switch is using Cisco LMI, you can't really communicate.

So, question is, how does a company like Juniper or HP cope with that and also, do they have their own proprietary protocols?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Other companies either use the standards based protocols or have their own proprietory protocol.

Look up LLDP for example as the IEEE standard replacement for CDP.
  • Options
    feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder why Cisco didn't implement LLDP? (Unless they did and I did not learn about it.)
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    feng.lian wrote: »
    So, question is, how does a company like Juniper or HP cope with that and also, do they have their own proprietary protocols?

If you run an all Juniper network (which I'm sure they encourage), the problem is solved.

If you use multiple vendors, you use non-proprietary protocols - like OSPF instead of EIGRP

A bigger problem for outfits like Juniper is that far more people know Cisco than know Juniper, so finding people to support your Juniper network is harder than looking for Cisco folks.

Anyhow, it's doable for the competition.

As far as whether or not HP or Juniper has proprietary protocols, that might be a question to ask on a HP or Juniper forum.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    feng.lian wrote: »
    Mainly curious about Juniper. While EIGRP, HDLC are useful, they also have alternate solutions that will work quite well. However, CDP, Cisco frame-relay LMI, VTP, BPDU guard, and probably others that I can't think of right now either don't have an industry standard counterpart or in the case of Cisco frame-relay LMI, if the DCE switch is using Cisco LMI, you can't really communicate.

Most of the features you mention exist in different forms. HP have their own version of BPDU guard, I'm sure Juniper do too, as mentioned LLDP exists. There will be other things like VTP out there I'm sure, although not everyone even likes VTP so its not like its so much of a bad thing.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think the main point here was that finding cisco tech's is easier and cheaper for that matter. It really is the same as windows admin's are cheaper than Linux because there are far more of them out there. On the other hand linux is free whereas windows server with say a 1000 client license is going to set you back a few bucks....

In the router/switch world I'm not so sure juniper or HP gear is much cheaper than similar cisco gear so why go that route?

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I think the main point here was that finding cisco tech's is easier and cheaper for that matter. It really is the same as windows admin's are cheaper than Linux because there are far more of them out there. On the other hand linux is free whereas windows server with say a 1000 client license is going to set you back a few bucks....

In the router/switch world I'm not so sure juniper or HP gear is much cheaper than similar cisco gear so why go that route?

Just my 2 cents

That all depends on how tight your budget is. If your employer has a "time is money" mantra you may not want to go that way. No employer I have worked did; ie employee time is "free". Here's a simple firewall example.

My old employer I choose a Juniper SRX 240 firewall over an ASA. The SRX was around $2400 and the ASA was $3000. I was able to get more port density and faster speeds for the money (16 Gig E ports versus 1 Gig E and 2 10/100 on the ASA). Now $600 is hardly anything to get worked up over, but I bought for future use. I was imagining that firewall would be there for 10+ years.

As for switches, HP switches were about 20% less for us. We never purchased them simply because our outdated Cisco 2950s were working. I haven't priced out Juniper switches, but I did like the Juniper JUNOS; more *nix like.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    There will be other things like VTP out there I'm sure, although not everyone even likes VTP so its not like its so much of a bad thing.

Nexus switches don't support VTP, maybe Cisco decided it wasn't all that great of a protocol too.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    There will be other things like VTP out there I'm sure, although not everyone even likes VTP so its not like its so much of a bad thing.

I just heard on PacketPushers.net show 18... MVRP which is a new industry standard to compete with VTP. I hadn't heard of this before, but I didn't feel too bad because the packetpushers hadn't heard of it either. Here's a wiki link to the standard. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker