Options

Need help finding an Acer motherboard

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, my mother just came to be FURIOUS. I have been out of town so she took her laptop to a local tech(Cooks Computers) to have it worked on, simple ram upgrade. Well, apparently this man thought you had to access the ram from the top, removing hte LCD and the keyboard(of course it is just the panel on the bottom, takes 5 minutes to upgrade it) and apparently he spilled a soda on the inside. He claims that all he did was put it back together and it wouldn't boot up.

Well I took it home and took a look at the ram, it hadn't been touched, i did this before I attempted to turn on the machine of course. Pressed the power button, nothing. Checked the AC adapter, working order. So i removed the LCD and keyboard, and long behold the stickiest motherboard I have EVER seen lol, not that it's funny. But anyway thats not the point. It is an Acer Aspire 5570Z Series. I cant find a link on Acers page for replacement parts, and no other part stores online I have found has one.

Anyone know something I odnt about this particular laptop ? Or where to find a replacement board.
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you tried these guys?

Acer Aspire 5570 Motherboard - 31ZR1MB00X0

Also, how did you feel about these Google results when you used this as a query:

"Acer Aspire 5570Z motherboard"

(WITH QUOTES)

I always assume folks did this already, and I don't want to come out as condescending, so please don't feel that way. I'm guessing that anger has you a bit frustrated, and I can definitely relate to that.
  • Options
    No offense taken, I did try very similar google quotes, and the results I found(with pictures) looked nothing like the mother board I have. Either the heatsink/cpu were on the opposite site, or the NIC was in a different spot, and Im not sure if there is some sort of from I/O board with the DC adapter on it that does not normally come with this motherboard, but none of them seem to have it. It is along piece 2 inches wide by 6 inches long in almost a 90 degree angle that goes up to the left side of the case. None of them look similar. And Id hate to spend the money and the ports be mm's off or something.
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No offense taken, I did try very similar google quotes, and the results I found(with pictures) looked nothing like the mother board I have. Either the heatsink/cpu were on the opposite site, or the NIC was in a different spot, and Im not sure if there is some sort of from I/O board with the DC adapter on it that does not normally come with this motherboard, but none of them seem to have it. It is along piece 2 inches wide by 6 inches long in almost a 90 degree angle that goes up to the left side of the case. None of them look similar. And Id hate to spend the money and the ports be mm's off or something.

A lot of times too, they could just have generic photos.

My suggestion would be to just call these places and tell them what your issue is. Give them whatever part number you can find on your board. Any place worth their salt should tell you whether the boards they have are compatible. What I would do, is make them take photos of the boards they are going to send you and email them to you. Hopefully they're not drop shipping or else that's gonna be rough.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make Cooks buy your mom a new laptop. 3 words Small Claims Court
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Make Cooks buy your mom a new laptop. 3 words Small Claims Court

OMG, i would raise hell until they replaced the laptop.
  • Options
    Well I suppose we could take legal action, but at this point, considering I opened the laptop when I got home - who's to say I didn't spill the soda ? And small claims court would probably cost as much as a new MOBO. I feel like im in a catch 22. None-the-less I did visit Cooks and treat them like a bunch of idiots. Turns out none of the 3 techs they have there aren't even certified, 2 of them didn't even know what an A+ cert was. So raises the question how in the hell have they been in business for 10+ years. Makes me want to get my own building and throw them out of business. I could provide much better service, and customer service - by myself.

Not to say that someone without a A+ cert couldn't upgrade ram, but what kind of idiot doesn't take a quick look at the bottom of the laptop before he goes tearing into it. Im very upset about it.

AND WHO DRINKS A SODA 10 INCHES FROM AN OPEN BOARD!!!
    UGH
    Certification Goals

Currently Studying
    TestOut Labsim - Server+
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Have you tried a Google search with the Acer part number off of the motherboard?

I did a Acer Aspire 5570Z motherboard search on eBay and found numerous auctions for them. I've been buying replacement motherboard's for our Dell Latitude D610's and D620 on eBay without any issues.

Good Luck!